• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Thinking of buying a car with aircon?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking of buying a car with aircon?

Coolant safety row puts the heat on Europe's carmakers | Reuters

When engineers at Mercedes-Benz tasked with field-testing a revolutionary new refrigerant watched it ignite in a ball of fire before their eyes, it took a while for the significance of their discovery to sink in.

Simulating a leak in the air-conditioning line of a Mercedes B-Class tourer, they had released a fine mixture of refrigerant and A/C compressor oil, which sprayed across the car's turbo-charged 1.6 litre engine.

The substance caught fire as soon as it hit the hot surface, releasing a toxic, corrosive gas as it burned. The car's windshield turned milky white as lethal hydrogen fluoride began eating its way into the glass.

At stake is not just a lucrative business for Honeywell and its partner Dupont (DD.N), who have invested hundreds of millions of dollars to develop, market and produce the coolant known as HFO-1234yf. Their refrigerant also happens to be the only product of its kind that meets new EU climate guidelines.

Because of concerns about greenhouse gases, EU legislators in Brussels have ordered the phasing out of the long-time industry standard, R134a, from January.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Yesterday I was heating up some ginger wine (13% Vol) in a saucepan with a lid, over a low heat. When taking the lid off to inspect, what happened and why? (spoiler and my explanation in white below, so don't quote if you don't want to see!)

The condensation from the lid dripped onto the hob and promptly caught fire, the hob and pan were burning with a nice blue fire like an Xmas pud.

My understanding is I'd inadvertently created a super-simple still. Alcohol had evaporated more than water and condensed on the cold lid above 40% and was then flammable.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

surely the whole buring up when sprayed across a hot piece of metal should have been found out in testing before it got anywhere near a car????

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
        surely the whole buring up when sprayed across a hot piece of metal should have been found out in testing before it got anywhere near a car????
        Remember this is the same company that designed a car, a thing that is generally assumed to turn left and right and works on 4 wheels only, that didn't do the third of these when carried out in this order. (moose test for anyone flumoxed)
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Correct

That's why that specific test was removed from the final test script
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

The car's windshield turned milky white as lethal hydrogen fluoride began eating its way into the glass.
            HF! Cool.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Possibly the coolant itself does not behave that way, but the real-world mixture with compressor oil does?
              Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                HF! Cool.
                You won't be thinking that as it dissolves your lungs. Burning to death might be a blessing.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                  Stone me.

Someone used the word "Fire".

I was taken to task for that & made to change it to "unexpected thermal transient" in one automotive report.
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                  X