• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Thrift Clubs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thrift Clubs

I've never really understood while people ever invest in these sorts of schemes. I guess they are so broke that the small margins make it worth the risk but, even so, why would you hand over 10 quid a week to the landlord of your local pub to pay into a Christmas Club?

This is exactly what the villagers of Shrewton have been doing over the past 12 months only to find that now it's time to pay up , landlord of the Royal Oak for the last 10 years, Malcolm Levesconte, has done a runner with the proceeds. All £20k to be precise.

It was truly heartbreaking listening to BBC Radio Wiltshire's roving reporter interviewing the villagers on the drive home last night. One poor old soul said that she now couldn't afford a Christmas tree as a result and would have to make do with hanging her baubles from the spines of her cactus. Terrible.

Assuming paying £10 a week for full 52 weeks of the year, for a total of £520, how much was the scheme supposed to then pay back?

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
      Assuming paying £10 a week for full 52 weeks of the year, for a total of £520, how much was the scheme supposed to then pay back?
      Whatever they get back will be more than what Standard Life would give back.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

A right Arthur Fowler..

Comment

When I was 16 (and skinny) I used to work in woolies up north. They had 'High Street' vouchers that they would put into all year for christmas. They were interest free

So is it just a discipline thing?

Comment

Originally posted by Bathing With Peter View Post
            I've never really understood while people ever invest in these sorts of schemes. I guess they are so broke that the small margins make it worth the risk but, even so, why would you hand over 10 quid a week to the landlord of your local pub to pay into a Christmas Club?

This is exactly what the villagers of Shrewton have been doing over the past 12 months only to find that now it's time to pay up , landlord of the Royal Oak for the last 10 years, Malcolm Levesconte, has done a runner with the proceeds. All £20k to be precise.
            Sounds like a state pension.

Comment

Originally posted by Robinho View Post
              Sounds like a state pension.
              +1
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Dallas View Post
                When I was 16 (and skinny)
                You should give up those iron men. At 10,000 calories of exercise a time its so easy to put on weight....

Comment

Originally posted by moggy View Post
                  A right Arthur Fowler..
                  IIRC, Arfur stole the christmas money to pay for 'Shell's wedding to Lofty. Where she promptly said "I don't", and Lofty spent all week promoting/listening to "Every Loser Wins" by Nick Berry.

I think that was the last time I watched 'Enders. Is Dr Leg still in it? How about Willy?
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I reckon they're all mardy as they hadn't told their wives, and now they know.

Silly buggers.

Comment

Working...
                    X