• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Did you pass your driving test...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you pass your driving test...

Poll to follow.
    First time
    50.98%
    Second time
    23.53%
    After several attempts
    19.61%
    AndyW is my chauffeur
    5.88%
    Me, me, me...

When I sat my driving test for the first and only time I thought I'd failed right at the start. Parallel parking I hit the pavement which I knew was an automatic fail so just to prove I could do it I told the examiner I was going to do it again which I did perfectly.

Now that I was convinced I'd failed I relaxed and carried on with the test without being anxious or nervous, pissed off of course.

At the end of the test I was surprised to learn I'd passed, the examiner explained that had I asked her if I could perform the parallel parking maneover again she would have said yes but I would have failed because I had asked, the fact that I told her I was doing it again she described as a recovery maneover and that was allowed. I'd never heard of this before but glad I it worked out as it did.

What are your experiences with your driving test.
    Me, me, me...

Comment

Third time lucky.

First time I made a silly mistake.

Second time I got a different examiner who plainly didn't like the fact that the driving school car was a Cortina 1600E. He completely unnerved me by pratting around adjusting his seat for the first 5 minutes.

Next time took my mother's car which was suitably modest and passed.

Out of my school mates I reckoned that those who failed first time were better drivers than those who passed first time.

I know that failing made me concentrate harder on getting it right.
      Last edited by Sysman; 13 December 2012, 20:31.
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
        When I sat my driving test for the first and only time I thought I'd failed right at the start. Parallel parking I hit the pavement which I knew was an automatic fail so just to prove I could do it I told the examiner I was going to do it again which I did perfectly.

Now that I was convinced I'd failed I relaxed and carried on with the test without being anxious or nervous, pissed off of course.

At the end of the test I was surprised to learn I'd passed, the examiner explained that had I asked her if I could perform the parallel parking maneover again she would have said yes but I would have failed because I had asked, the fact that I told her I was doing it again she described as a recovery maneover and that was allowed. I'd never heard of this before but glad I it worked out as it did.

Sounds like she'd filled her quota for that week.

Comment

2nd time. 1st time round, I had to do it in a different car to the one I'd had all my lessons in and it unnerved me.

He asked me to take the next left, and I didn't see the turning until I was on it. Rather than drive past and apologise, I made an emergency lunge and unsurprisingly failed.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Robinho View Post
            Sounds like she'd filled her quota for that week.
            Could be but I passed. I was also so confident I'd bought a car to be delivered an hour after I got home from the test so I drove to the gig in my new car all happy. When I got there I was handed the keys to a new company car which I wasn't expecting. So how many people pass their driving test and get two new cars the same day?
            Me, me, me...

Comment

Could be but I passed. I was also so confident I'd bought a car to be delivered an hour after I got home from the test so I drove to the gig in my new car all happy. When I got there I was handed the keys to a new company car which I wasn't expecting. So how many people pass their driving test and get two new cars the same day?
              Good for you sir,

I passed on the second time. First time i had a lesson beforehand during which i went through a light too late. So what do i do in the test, stop at a light too early.

Comment

Car and Bike both first time.

Car test, I actually had two examiners in the car. There was *my* examiner and then he was being assessed by a senior examiner. I was tulipting bricks...

Bike test was going well until I had to do a really tricky move off from lights and turn right uphill immediately after moving off. No way that I could do that, so I gave the 'lost signal' sign, turned left and pulled over. The examiner strolled over to me, grinned and said 'everyone seems to lose signal there for some reason'.

Comment

Didn't pass till the 6th attempt. Never wanted to drive, always a keen cyclist, but had to learn in order to commute to a job too good to turn down. Still don't like driving.

Comment

Almost the same - I touched the kerb reversing round the corner, was convinced I failed so relaxed and did everything else perfectly and passed.

Comment

Working...
                    X