• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to deal with permies who want career progression?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to deal with permies who want career progression?

Having gone perm I have inherited a number of permies. I have headcount to hire (5) more in total and the for the first two I've hired contractors(!)

This seems to be unnerving the longer term permies. I've got one who wants to know about how his 'career' prospects should be handled. He wants to pick and choose the projects he is assigned to - siting 'that's not what I thought I would be doing when I was hired'. The contractors will do anything.

My 'can do, will do' attitude is not resonating well with my new permie staff.

Suggestions please?
    Last edited by MarillionFan; 14 December 2012, 03:31.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

This is why firms take on contractors, after 1 year a permie has more rights and thinks he has more leverage when negotiating (that is assuming he has done his 1st year), otherwise talk about how lucky he is to have that job and that its a terrible permie market out there right now.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      Having gone perm I have inherited a number of permies. I have headcount to hire (5) more in total and the for the first two I've hired contractors(!)

This seems to be unnerving the longer term permies. I've got one who wants to know about how his 'career' prospects should be handled. He wants to pick and choose the projects he is assigned to - siting 'that's not what I thought I would be doing when I was hired'. The contractors will do anything.

My 'can do, will do' attitude is not resonating well with my new permie staff.

Suggestions please?
      Start a policy of sharing the skills, there should only be one "Key Man" in that organisation, you. And then only if your Boss is too stupid to realise what you've done.

Go get 'em Suity MF!

Comment

Makes me giggle that. I am not too sure I would ever have heard a yank say he wasn't hired to do X but Y, as most companies would heave him out on the pavement.

I worked with a senior Oracle Developer, permie PS man, who, on being asked to construct a presentation, refused saying he weasn't told he'd have to do them at interview. In the real world, he'd have been eased out, the same as your fella.

As an aside, part of the new Public Sector contracts involve clauses that state Contractors have to knowledge transfer.

Comment

Tell him he was hired to do a specific job and to STFU, career prospects if anything he should be looking at courses and making a case to you why you should authorise the funds for him to attend them
          In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
            As an aside, part of the new Public Sector contracts involve clauses that state Contractors have to knowledge transfer.
            You'll be snowed under if there is ever an influx of newbies that don't know how to boil a kettle then.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
              You'll be snowed under if there is ever an influx of newbies that don't know how to boil a kettle then.

I'll point them to the ex-squaddies SB, for that's all they're good for, and like you, fat ****ers always near the kitchen and thus the kettle

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
                I'll point them to the ex-squaddies SB, for that's all they're god for, and like you, fat ****ers always near the kitchen and thus the kettle
                Less than a minute. Fast at least, if lacking in originality...................twas ever thus.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                  Less than a minute. Fast at least, if lacking in originality...................twas ever thus.

oooh, the delcious irony

Comment

What's wrong with squaddies or ex-squaddies?
                    In Scooter we trust

Comment

Working...
                    X