• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Possible new niche

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible new niche

Recently, i have noticed many more development role adverts ask for "excellent communication skills". I thought this was quite strange for a strictly development role. So I quizzed an agent friend about it earlier this week. Apparently a lot of companies only want English developers but can't put this on the advert so put his instead.

I then had a phone call from an agent on Wednesday about a financial software house who in his words were looking for 10 "White English developers". I spoke to the Bob contractor at my current client, he has also seen this happening, and although he is s good a developer as me (maybe a bit better), he struggles to find gigs.

Has anyone else noticed this? I think there is a decent niche for English born/speaking developers.

Originally posted by Ketchup View Post
    I then had a phone call from an agent on Wednesday about a financial software house who in his words were looking for 10 "White English developers" a prison sentence.
    FTFH

Having dealt wit an extremely pleasant & competent young Indian lady this week I feel their pain, her accent was so thick and she was so quiet on the phone it was almost impossible to talk. on IM & email she is absolutely fine.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

interesting also that Millbean has been banging on about immigrants not being able to speak the lingo..

I have to agree that if you cannot clearly communicate in the agreed business language of a company maybe you should not be able to go for the job - harsh yes but not unfair

Comment

There is - in my view - a role for a competent English developer with decent speaking skills to sit between managers and a team of bobs. Communicating on the purely technical side is not too bad with foreign folk.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

We had the Head of IT India over at HQ for a few months. Sterling chap, super bright. Could only communicate in writing, as none of us could understand a word he said - far too fast and quiet.

When I was in charge of getting resources from the subcontinent, I insisted on giving each one a telephone interview. Part of it was to see whether my non-native-english speaking colleagues would have a hope of understanding the candidate. About 1/3 were rejected over that issue - I wrote "communication skills" on the report; and explained to the account manager what that meant. Another 1/3 were rejected because they were crap. We ended up with quite a good team in the end.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Languange/accent problems aside I still find I have a lot of problems with the bobs even via email. They seem to have this habit of being very direct and succinct in the mail but only dealing with the visible part of the request or problem if that makes sense. They never elaborate or think further than the immediate problem. Hard to explain but they will often tell me what the problem is.... and I look at my screen and think 'And?' I have to mail them to ask them the solution or for further advice.

I find this really infuriating and one of my main beefs with these guys. They don't seem to understand or have this concept of bringing me a solution not a problem, consider the audience and the message and all these softskills that I still find valuable in people. Just because they can write english emails doesn't mean they have communication skills IMO. Being able to speak the language is most basic requirements for communication skills.
            Last edited by northernladuk; 14 December 2012, 13:42.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Languange/accent problems aside I still find I have a lot of problems with the bobs even via email. They seem to have this habit of being very direct and succinct in the mail but only dealing with the visible part of the request or problem if that makes sense. They never elaborate or think further than the immediate problem. Hard to explain but they will often tell me what the problem is.... and I look at my screen and think 'And?' I have to mail them to ask them the solution or for further advice.

I find this really infuriating and one of my main beefs with these guys. They don't seem to understand or have this concept of bringing me a solution not a problem, consider the audience and the message and all these softskills that I still find valuable in people. Just because they can write english emails doesn't mean they have communication skills IMO. Being able to speak the language is most basic requirements for communication skills.
              Please to be making change request today afternoon with your requirement updation.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I don't really see the point in 95% of discrimination laws.

If a racist person wants to diminish his potential talent pool when hiring, that's his loss.
                Last edited by Robinho; 14 December 2012, 13:49.

Comment

Originally posted by Robinho View Post
                  I don't really see the point in 95% of discrimination laws.
                  That's because you're either:
                  • Not a bleeding heart bearded sandle wearing treehugging wishy-washy liberal

Or
                  • You're a racist ****.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Both

Comment

Working...
                    X