• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gary McKinnon to not face charges

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gary McKinnon to not face charges

BBC News - Hacker Gary McKinnon will not face UK charges

Lucky lad eh?
    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Played the i'm a poor suicidal autiser card.

Comment

it was dragged out for 10 years, he should have been done for breaking and entering and not stealing anything which is what he did with their computer data.

Comment

Good. Regardless of whether this particular bloke should have been extradited, this treaty should be largely ignored until it is revised to be completely equitable. Some say it is equitable like this bloke:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...n-treaty-us-uk

but if that is so, why is there is an extra clause in the treaty protecting US citizens that does not apply to UK citizens? Surely an equitable treaty would impose the same conditions on both sides? Others say it is equitable in practice because the US authorities do actually supply equivalent information but depending on the good will of the complainants is hardly legal justice.
        Last edited by xoggoth; 14 December 2012, 17:42.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

BTW, anyone know, what the figures should be if the treaty was equitable, assuming the US has a population 5 time ours? According to these "FAQs" :

FAQs on the US-UK Extradition Relationship | Embassy of the United States

•The Baker panel report notes that the U.S. has a population about five times the size of the UK, but there have been fewer than twice the number of people extradited to the U.S. than to the UK. The number of U.S. requests is therefore not disproportionate
          That looks to me like total bollux. They have 5 times as many potential offenders but they also have 1/5 of the individuals/companies that they could offend against and who would lodge a complaint. 5 x 1/5 = 1 By my reckoning an equitable treaty would see about the same number extradited from each. I could be wrong, any statisticians with a different view?
          Last edited by xoggoth; 14 December 2012, 17:59.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

The conspirators will wonder why his extradition was blocked the day after another chap with the identical condition (and with a identical medical diagnosis) was removed.

This does being questions into how strong the law is in the area of hacking. Or did the CPS just look the other way? Maybe some truths about the Police cock-ups would come out.
            Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
              Good. Regardless of whether this particular bloke should have been extradited, this treaty should be largely ignored until it is revised to be completely equitable. Some say it is equitable like this bloke:
              The treaty huff was a complete (although very successful) smokescreen. He would have been extradicted even if the clauses had been 100% fully equitable. They had more than enough evidence to extradicte him, even under the old treaty.

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
                WHS

Comment

Originally posted by Robinho View Post
                  Played the i'm a poor suicidal autiser card.
                  That right . Have a go at the disabled. Fookwit.

Comment

Makes me wonder....if they don't want to prosecute him and the home secretary won't allow him to be removed...then the guy is free to hack into US computers! So would it not be prudent to bar him from using a computer with access to the internet?

Comment

Working...
                    X