• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Rules of Internet Mass Debate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Rules of Internet Mass Debate

Alt Text: How to End an Argument on the Internet | Underwire | Wired.com
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

"If you claim to be winning, you lose."

Good point. Which means assguru loses every time.

Comment

I thought you ended a intellectual, topical argument on the internet with something like 'Anyway, I will remember to wipe my kn0b on your crutains when I have finished with your mom' or something of that ilk?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        I thought you ended a intellectual, topical argument on the internet with something like 'Anyway, I will remember to wipe my kn0b on your crutains when I have finished with your mom' or something of that ilk?
        I thought that was only when arguing with AndyW?

Comment

I think its when Godwins law has been invoked too.

Comment

Yep,definitely the Last Word syndrome.

And perversely it can annoy others if you do, in fact, let them have the last word. The secret is to ensure that their last word is so inane and moronic that it simply can't be topped.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

And perversely it can annoy others if you do, in fact, let them have the last word. The secret is to ensure that their last word is so inane and moronic that it simply can't be topped.
              Ah, but then you're stuck in the "quoted for posterity" conundrum. If you leave their post you run the risk of them editing or deleting it. If you quote, you're continuing the debate past the point that you've won it.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

Every post is like that when Spod and OH are going at it but it doesn't seem to end the argument.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

This thread deserves to die - Hitler Nazi Hitler Nazi Hitler
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
                    I think its when Godwins law has been invoked too.
                    From TFA:
                    I have some proposed end conditions. But before I get started, let me say this: I know a lot of you out there are shouting “Godwin!” Godwin’s Law merely states that eventually, any argument will involve a comparison to Nazis in general or Hitler specifically. Some people have misinterpreted it to mean that once Nazis are brought up, the argument is over. While I applaud the principle, in practice it makes it very difficult to discuss European history; the films of Charles Chaplin; or who, among those who surf, must die.

Comment

Working...
                    X