• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Help reqd with car problem

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help reqd with car problem

I have a 2001 Mazda 626 1.8 which has been a wonderful workhorse of a car until it recently developed a strange problem. I told the garage about it at the last service but, on collecting the car, was told they couldn't find anything wrong. The problem persist and I'm going to have to sort out taking it back to a garage but wondered if anyone may have any idea what could be causing the following problem.

Drive the car (from cold) 20 or more miles.
    Park car, turning engine off.
    Leave for 10-15 minutes.
    The car will start fine but will not idle. As soon as I remove my foot from the accelerator, the revs just drop to 0 and the engine cuts out. On occasions the amber engine warning light will come on.
    After the car has been left for an hour or so it starts fine.

There is no problem once the engine has started and running. I can quite happily stop at lights, etc without any worry of it stalling. If I turn the engine off and then start it again straight away, all is fine. It does seem to need this 10-15 minute period before the problem kicks in.

Any ideas anyone?
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it" - George Bernard Shaw

Possibly a blockage in one of air pipes. This could mean that your engine is running too rich as it's constantly on the "cold start" air circuit.

But, hey, what do I know? I'm just a dog!

My advice? Sell it and buy a Range Rover - there is a reason why god invented petrol, and that's to run a big supercharged V8!

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill
      My advice? Sell it and buy a Range Rover -
      Then take the engine out an put in it a Landrover Series II Soft Top. Bolts right in with a mating plate for the clutch housing. Instant fun
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Daft as it sounds have a look at the starter switch, you need to dissasemble the plastic around the steering wheel etc. etc.

The spades on the one originally fitted to the Mazda 626 was in some cases not up to the job and they slowly melt and burn away drying out the contacts in the unit giving all sorts of weird problems.

You should be able to clean it up, or get a replacement from a scrap yard. Don't bother with a new one they cost a fortune and last no longer.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Google is your friend - for example http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dorothy...bemx/index.htm

However I would suspect the plug leads. If they break down a bit the resistance goes up so when they're hot you don't get enough spark to restart the engine or to allow a cool one to idle. Get a set from Halfords and try that first - might well have some other nice side-effects as well.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Crap in your engine.

Comment

Crap in your engine

And how often do you have to do that?
              Why not?

Comment

Once should be enough. Great feeling. ******* Mazda POS.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
                  Once should be enough. Great feeling. ******* Mazda POS.
                  Mazda 626 is a fine car, it is second on my list of perfect contractor cars, only being held off the top spot by the Mazda 6 MPS.
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio
                    Google is your friend - for example http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dorothy...bemx/index.htm

However I would suspect the plug leads. If they break down a bit the resistance goes up so when they're hot you don't get enough spark to restart the engine or to allow a cool one to idle. Get a set from Halfords and try that first - might well have some other nice side-effects as well.
                    Thanks, it would be nice if the solution was as simple as changing the plug leads but the problem you describe seems contradictory to mine. Mine starts fine when hot or cold but just will not idle when started from hot. The revs just drop to 0 and the engine cuts out. However, sounds like a quick and cheap job that EVEN I could do myself to see if it has any effect.
                    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it" - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Working...
                    X