• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Duty free

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duty free

Or non availability thereof when travelling in Eu.

Just passed through Copenhagen airport where a whole range of lovely licquors were tantalisingly on display with the caveat that they are only on offer to travellers flying to non eu destinations.

Why can't they have a tax free price and a price inclusive of tax? We had only what was on offer in the eu section to choose from. Which wasn't a lot

Duty free for intra EU travellers was abolished in 1999.

Comment

Originally posted by BA to the Stars View Post
      I know but I can't understand why there isn't a tax inclusive price so that its possible to still buy the same goods that are on offer to non eu flights.

Comment

Originally posted by BA to the Stars View Post
        And Duty Free has never been profit free. I never found duty free to be particularly cheap other than going to Scandinavia
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I would have thought it's because they have to store non-duty paid products separately in a bonded warehouse. The retailer will have already paid any duty for EU sales. Also in the case of tobacco, it's labeled differently and so would be a different SKU.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
            I would have thought it's because they have to store non-duty paid products separately in a bonded warehouse. The retailer will have already paid any duty for EU sales. Also in the case of tobacco, it's labeled differently and so would be a different SKU.
            Oh I see.

Note to self: google Mozart chocolate Cree liquor on return UK

Comment

Last time I was in Frankfurt airport it was funny seeing people picking up cartons of ciggies and when going to pay being told that they couldn't buy them as they were only travelling within the EU and to pick up the cartons with tax on them which were bloody expensive (cue lots of stupid people moaning), same with booze. Its still cheaper to buy your fags and booze, with tax, in a local shop than in the airport 'duty free.'
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

In Madrid you could buy the same cigarettes either duty free or duty paid, if duty paid they just sold you the revenue stickers at the same time. Same cig packets, though.
                Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                  Last time I was in Frankfurt airport it was funny seeing people picking up cartons of ciggies and when going to pay being told that they couldn't buy them as they were only travelling within the EU and to pick up the cartons with tax on them which were bloody expensive (cue lots of stupid people moaning), same with booze. Its still cheaper to buy your fags and booze, with tax, in a local shop than in the airport 'duty free.'
                  Don't see why people are stupid for not knowing about the EU tax and duty systems. Cultural references still have 'duty free' all over the place.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Don't see why people are stupid for not knowing about the EU tax and duty systems. Cultural references still have 'duty free' all over the place.
                    Because they are. On each shelf holding the duty free, i.e. those with no tax it states that only people flying outside of the EU can buy them. On the other shelves it states that these products are for people flying within the EU. What people are doing is only looking at the price and when they go to pay, they get annoyed because basically, they're ******* idiots. Satisfied?
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                    X