• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Well that was a close one

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well that was a close one

Turned up in plenty of time for the interview but the director I was to see had been delayed by an hour would I mind waiting? Sure no problem I'll just go to the coffee shop round the corner and come back in a bit.

As I'm leaving one of the guys in the open plan office says I'll join you so I can fill you in on some details of the job since it's me you'll be replacing, good stuff.

Turns out he's leaving for another gig on Friday because he hasn't been paid for two months and it's unlikely I'd ever be paid since the people who own the company have a history of running up debts only to resurface doing the same thing leaving the debts behind. There was much more detail that I won't go into.

Since I got home I did some due diligence and sure enough turned up a lot of interesting stuff that corroborates the other contractor's tale. I've told the pimp that technically it's not my bag and I won't be taking the gig so that's it over with. I've also had three voicemails and a text from the director asking me to come back in again this afternoon and not to worry the gig's mine and can I start tomorrow

I think I got off lightly.
    Me, me, me...

Damn, this could have been up there with a SY tale!
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Well you could provide the information to the agent informing him that you will be opting in and will only accept on weekly payment terms.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

The Gods were smiling on you. Surely the pimp must know about their payment history.

Comment

Originally posted by BA to the Stars View Post
          The Gods were smiling on you. Surely the pimp must know about their payment history.
          Why would an agent want to place a contractor when it means they are the ones who will not be getting paid, and are the ones who will be leaned on by the contractor with the watertight contract?
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by BA to the Stars View Post
            They use different agencies each iteration. I thought pimps would have passed this information among themselves but apparently not in this case.

Anyway if the agent can't be bothered to do their own due diligence then I'm not doing it for them.
            Me, me, me...

Comment

Nicely dodged sir

Comment

onwards and upwards sir!
                "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Did you go through with the interview or just up and leave?
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Don't doubt the validity of your claims, but if I were the contractor onsite at the time, I wouldn't still be there with 2 months of outstanding invoices.
                    And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Working...
                    X