• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Just Ordered One of These

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just Ordered One of These

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MK808-Androi...5953590&sr=8-1
    Coffee's for closers

I have one of these which I put Linux on, very nice.

Android MK802 Mini PC

You'll have much fun with it.
    Me, me, me...

Comment

Just got two of these.

Raspberry Pi | An ARM GNU/Linux box for $25. Take a byte!

XBMC on one (soon to be with TvHeadend)

Asterisk + some HA on the other.

awesome beasts mainly because of the community round them.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Re: Just Ordered One of These

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        Raspberry Pi | An ARM GNU/Linux box for $25. Take a byte!

XBMC on one (soon to be with TvHeadend)

Asterisk + some HA on the other.

awesome beasts mainly because of the community round them.
        They seemed like slightly too much effort, the android box should work as soon as it's plugged in and it comes with a handy free dust cover over the electronics
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
          They seemed like slightly too much effort, the android box should work as soon as it's plugged in and it comes with a handy free dust cover over the electronics
          So copying a file onto a sd card and plugging it into the raspberry pi is too much like hard work.

Each to their own I suppose.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Speaking of Raspberry Pi has anyone used it with Ruby?
            In Scooter we trust

Comment

Re: Just Ordered One of These

Originally posted by eek View Post
              So copying a file onto a sd card and plugging it into the raspberry pi is too much like hard work.

Each to their own I suppose.
              I did say slightly too much effort
              Advantage of this is that I plug it in, sign into Google and should get all my apps and data.

I've no inclination to devote what little spare time I have to a raspberry pi at the moment, they do look fun, but GTA V looks like more fun
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Turned up today and works a treat

One slight annoyance is that the BBC iPlayer app doesn't work, or rather the BBC don't let the app run on "unrecognised" devices! I can still access iPlayer through the website though

The only other annoying thing is that I was hoping to power it directly from the USB port on the TV. That did work until I started playing a video file at which point I realised that there was a lot of background noise. Plugging into the mains fixed that - not sure what the issue is, maybe it's just a grounding reference problem for the HDMI connection or just the fact that it was forced to reboot as I switched power sources.

Plex runs and streams HD video from my laptop PC to the device.

External USB stick works without any issues

Plugged in an external drive and that crashed the device but I was expecting that as the power being drawn is too high, it will need a powered USB hub for that to work properly

The keyboard and mouse remote control I got as part of the package feels extremely cheap but worked straight away.

For under £50 it's not a bad piece of equipment!
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                  Turned up today and works a treat

One slight annoyance is that the BBC iPlayer app doesn't work, or rather the BBC don't let the app run on "unrecognised" devices! I can still access iPlayer through the website though

The only other annoying thing is that I was hoping to power it directly from the USB port on the TV. That did work until I started playing a video file at which point I realised that there was a lot of background noise. Plugging into the mains fixed that - not sure what the issue is, maybe it's just a grounding reference problem for the HDMI connection or just the fact that it was forced to reboot as I switched power sources.

Plex runs and streams HD video from my laptop PC to the device.

External USB stick works without any issues

Plugged in an external drive and that crashed the device but I was expecting that as the power being drawn is too high, it will need a powered USB hub for that to work properly

The keyboard and mouse remote control I got as part of the package feels extremely cheap but worked straight away.

For under £50 it's not a bad piece of equipment!
                  I'm using mine as an Apache server live on t'internet for some dev testing. I used to have a dedicated PC for that not to mention the Cobalt Raq4's that are sitting in a rack unused.
                  Me, me, me...

Comment

well its a bit difficult to do on a PI! Took me 2 mins.

How to turn your Raspberry Pi into an XBMC media centre | Reviews | CNET UK

runs a treat by the way.

usb LCD, Tvheadend & LIRC to go

then we need a nice case.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X