• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Handed in my notice....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handed in my notice....

...at the gym.

I've been frequenting gyms for a number of years now and, while it's not something I look forward to at the end of a working day, I appreciated that it keeps my tummy trim and I do have to admit to feeling nicely pumped up when I leave.

Of late, though, my gym experiences have been getting worse. This is nothing to do with any one particular gym as I have been a member of several gyms over the past couple of years during my contracting travels.

What gets to me is the increasing proliferation of personal trainers in these places. When I first started going , there would be 2 or 3 people who could show you the ins and outs of different pieces of kit if you so wished but that was about it.

Nowadays the personal trainers seem to outnumber the punters and I am getting fed up of going to the gym to find that the kit I want to use is unavailable because a trainer is using it for a class or a 1 to 1. These seem to take precedence over normal punters doing their own thing.

The final straw came the other day when I was on the floor area in front of the mirrors doing my burpees. A trainer came over and actually interrupted me to tell me he needed the space for a one on one training session.

I was outraged. I pay £38 a month to use that gym and I am fed up with being pulled from pillar to post when I'm trying to follow my programme.

Oh, another thing. After a long , hard, session there is nothing more annoying than going back to the changing room to find that (no matter how many other lockers are taken) somebody will be using the locker immediately above/below/next to yours and you find you have another work out in the shape of ducking under outstretched appendages to get to your clothing.

I'm thinking of doing an iron man triathlon next summer so I think I can dispense of the gym and focus my efforts on cycling and running with a few visits to the local pool thrown in (though I am an avid wild water swimmer so I only really need to do a bit to keep in the zone so far as swimming is concerned).

Originally posted by Bathing With Peter View Post
    The final straw came the other day when I was on the floor area in front of the mirrors doing my burpees. A trainer came over and actually interrupted me to tell me he needed the space for a one on one training session.
    There is only one response to that.

"You can wait til I'm finished".

Comment

£38/month?

No self-respecting contractor would pay less than £90/month for an Esporta gym or similar.

You must be using a council one

Comment

...at the gym.

I've been frequenting gyms for a number of years now and, while it's not something I look forward to at the end of a working day, I appreciated that it keeps my tummy trim and I do have to admit to feeling nicely pumped up when I leave.

Of late, though, my gym experiences have been getting worse. This is nothing to do with any one particular gym as I have been a member of several gyms over the past couple of years during my contracting travels.

What gets to me is the increasing proliferation of personal trainers in these places. When I first started going , there would be 2 or 3 people who could show you the ins and outs of different pieces of kit if you so wished but that was about it.

Nowadays the personal trainers seem to outnumber the punters and I am getting fed up of going to the gym to find that the kit I want to use is unavailable because a trainer is using it for a class or a 1 to 1. These seem to take precedence over normal punters doing their own thing.

I was outraged. I pay £38 a month to use that gym and I am fed up with being pulled from pillar to post when I'm trying to follow my programme.

Oh, another thing. After a long , hard, session there is nothing more annoying than going back to the changing room to find that (no matter how many other lockers are taken) somebody will be using the locker immediately above/below/next to yours and you find you have another work out in the shape of ducking under outstretched appendages to get to your clothing.

I'm thinking of doing an iron man triathlon next summer so I think I can dispense of the gym and focus my efforts on cycling and running with a few visits to the local pool thrown in (though I am an avid wild water swimmer so I only really need to do a bit to keep in the zone so far as swimming is concerned).
        You are mentally unstable. While I can understand people who compete in iron man triathlons, despite the pain, and having been a competitive sportsman for a long time I know the meaning and purpose of painful training, there is no excuse whatsoever for a person to voluntarily do burpees. I believe, and hope for his sake, that the person who invented the burpee is dead, because if he isn't, I'm coming for him, along with many others and his life will be very short. In fact I think anyone who commits the act of voluntarily doing burpees is perpetuating an abhorrent scourge on humanity and should be removed from public view. Well done that Personal Trainer.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Hahaha in the forces burpees are modified and called B@st@rds, the difference being that they have to jump in the air and shout the aforementioned. I used to love dishing these out to recruits
          In Scooter we trust

Comment

Have you tried the version where as you jump you have to turn around 180 degrees? They are horrible.

Anyway, OP - buy yourself a copy of Never Gymless and get over to RossTraining.com

You will never need to go to a gym again.
            "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
              Hahaha in the forces burpees are modified and called B@st@rds, the difference being that they have to jump in the air and shout the aforementioned. I used to love dishing these out to recruits
              Evil, evil man.

I was first introduced to the burpee by a so called rugby coach who was an ex-military man. You know the type; tattoos, bald head, moustache, Windsor Davies accent and bone from the neck up.

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
                Have you tried the version where as you jump you have to turn around 180 degrees? They are horrible.
                Yes, one of the front row players, perhaps not by accident, fell over after the first one, so the rest of the forwards fell over out of solidarity and continued to do so every time the tuliphead ordered us to do those. Even the ex-military sadist couldn't do much about 10 large men undermining his training plans.

Comment

Gyms bore the shit: out of me.

Comment

...at the gym.

1, You can always say no to them and stop moaning on here
                    2. £38 is nothing**
                    3. Depending on locker type you can commandeer the lockers around you too - if you need the space
                    4. Ironman: you still need the gym - do some research
                    5. Ironman: ha ha and you are moaning at £38 - do some research
                    6. Ironman: you are only going in the evenings - - do some research
                    Finally - its silly season in all gyms, suck it up until the end of feb

Comment

Working...
                    X