• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boomed!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boomed!

FTSE enjoying a nice "Santa Rally", don't think it will quite hit 6,000 before end of the year but I am enjoying the rush as it brings my portfolio up 7% in the last 5 months, would be even better if some of the gambles I took paid off (Genel Energy down 13% since I bought it )

Who else plays the markets, either for fun or serious
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    FTSE enjoying a nice "Santa Rally", don't think it will quite hit 6,000 before end of the year but I am enjoying the rush as it brings my portfolio up 7% in the last 5 months, would be even better if some of the gambles I took paid off (Genel Energy down 13% since I bought it )

Who else plays the markets, either for fun or serious
    Pah - I've got ups of 27% and downs of -23% but hey this is my SIPP - it's all long-term and today's valuation means nothing as I don't shift much...

As this is a boomed thread - 6 month extension for me until 14th June but still awaiting new version reversing my 10% reduction from last year so I'll wait until then before creating my own thread.
    Anti-bedwetting advice

Comment

Originally posted by Notascooby View Post
      Pah - I've got ups of 27% and downs of -23% but hey this is my SIPP - it's all long-term and today's valuation means nothing as I don't shift much...

As this is a boomed thread - 6 month extension for me until 14th June but still awaiting new version reversing my 10% reduction from last year so I'll wait until then before creating my own thread.
      I am down 2.1% just as well is fantasy, was up 6% 2 months ago.

Utilities taking biggest hit for me, that time of year?

Comment

Originally posted by Notascooby View Post

Mine is my SIPP so only having a long term view, just fascinated in the whole investments side of things now

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

My oil based funds have tanked as has a couple of other big percentage bets...

ho-hum...next year it'll all change again.
          Anti-bedwetting advice

Comment

I stick to FTSE100/250 shares with a decent yield ( 4%+ ), you are rarely going to make a killing but the 4-5% a year starts adding up over time. It's still not nailed on, have been drawn into some dodgier shares by some big yields, if a yield starts climbing over 7% its usually too good to be true and there is something about to go wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
              I stick to FTSE100/250 shares with a decent yield ( 4%+ ), you are rarely going to make a killing but the 4-5% a year starts adding up over time. It's still not nailed on, have been drawn into some dodgier shares by some big yields, if a yield starts climbing over 7% its usually too good to be true and there is something about to go wrong.
              With inflation as it is these days a yield of 4% is basically nothing

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                With inflation as it is these days a yield of 4% is basically nothing
                Correct but it's more than a yield of 0% when you are chasing capital gains ( and usually not getting them ) with riskier shares. I think if you look at funds that have done well long term, or listen to some of well known 'investors' you'll probably find they are relying on yields to make up a big chunk of their gains.

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
                  Correct but it's more than a yield of 0% when you are chasing capital gains ( and usually not getting them ) with riskier shares. I think if you look at funds that have done well long term, or listen to some of well known 'investors' you'll probably find they are relying on yields to make up a big chunk of their gains.
                  I have AV, BATS, GSK, RIO & VOD all giving me high yields (both RIO and AV are also giving me capital growth of 9% and 12% respectively), but I also have some more speculative buys, bought LLOY at 33p, now sitting at 49p, but alas the GENL are down 14% now

Comment

My AQP shares had hit 54 as of yesterday. I'd been underwater most of the year with an average price of 44p they'd been down to 33.

So at 260,000 of them I was taking a loss. Not at least up a couple of grand. Waiting for them to hit £1.50 though.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X