• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

social worker here - yes really

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been reading this forum for a couple of months since I decided to start doing contract social work at the age of 57 having fallen out big time with my bosses in the local council after 10 years or so off the front line. It has been a fascinating read and Ive learned a few things, especially the use and meaning of the word 'tulip'. that I didn't know before. I have looked around for a similar forum for people in contract social work but not found one, then it dawned on me that maybe this one wasn't purely for IT folk. No doubt my hourly rate and certain failure to be outside IR35 would be a source of amusement, but I'm fairly used to that. I'd welcome a discussion with any other contract SWs out there.

My brother is a social worker - he went in all dewy-eyed and liberal now he's totally racist! Been threatened with deliberate tb, and some guy from the Belgian Congo threatened him with black magic...

Some of the things he's had to do tho, they would haunt me so much respect with what u do and gave to do...

Comment

Hello socialworker

I'm intrigued to know how you ended up on this forum.

Anyhoo, IR35? Yes, I'd imagine you're screwed. Best of luck anyway.
      +50 Xeno Geek Points
      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

You can get plenty of case studies in General
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I can't wait for socialworker to post in general.......

Comment

I quite enjoy General

leaving aside all the silly macho stuff, it is a fascinating insight into the world of IT ....

I do adults not children, I could never hack doing childcare work, that is tough indeed. Contracting in social services is so far, great. Managers tend be actually rather nice people, at least the ones next in line up from me are, grateful for everything you do, everyone v. friendly, helpful, I got invited to staff trips to the pub, Christmas do's ....... but without the office politics. I wish I had done it a couple of years earlier. Just finished a 3 month contract and I've been offered another 3 months in another project. I work harder than I have done for a long time, with a 3 hour round trip each day, but I am happier than I have been in work for a long time and thinking of going limited next year.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
              You can get plenty of case studies in General
              I'm a social worker, not a psychiatrist.

Comment

Originally posted by socialworker View Post
                I'm a social worker, not a psychiatrist.
                +1

Comment

Hello

Post in general. You will have lots of fun particularly with the bigots.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    Hello

Post in general. You will have lots of fun particularly with the bigots.
                    Thanks SueEllen. I am considering it, though it seems a bit like poking a stick into an ants nest. People should not assume we are all left wing though. I see a lot of irresponsibility and I can get quite judgemental about it, don't you worry.

Comment

Working...
                    X