• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying a one way plane ticket online

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a one way plane ticket online

Seems to be impossible when you want to buy a one way ticket from destination country back to country of origin.

Are there legal issues here or something? I seem to remember some arcane international restriction put in place by <insert name of global body> that stipulated that you had to be in the country of departure to purchase the ticket, or something to that effect.

No legal issues that I'm aware of, I've done this many times before with various airlines. Only thing I might expect to encounter is price being in currency of departure country, but at least some airlines will allow you to switch this back into GBP.

Comment

There are some. Unless you can legally enter the country the airline can be fined £10,000 for trafficking an illegal immigrant. As such many companies want a return leg to show some level of due diligence.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I think a certain minimum level of intelligence is required to use the booking interface.

Where u going to?
        Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
          I think a certain minimum level of intelligence is required to use the booking interface.

Where u going to?
          Need 1 way ticket from USA-> UK.

Entering US by land from Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm Buggeridge View Post
            Need 1 way ticket from USA-> UK.

Entering US by land from Canada.

Cant you just stay there forever ?
            Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

I've done this few months back : Geneva to Paris on a EasyJet flight.

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm Buggeridge View Post
                Seems to be impossible when you want to buy a one way ticket from destination country back to country of origin.

Are there legal issues here or something? I seem to remember some arcane international restriction put in place by <insert name of global body> that stipulated that you had to be in the country of departure to purchase the ticket, or something to that effect.
                Been looking into this as one of the kids is spending a year in the US from April - can't get a years return - they used to be called "open tickets" last time I bought one, single US > UK from say JFK > Heathrow is prohibitively expensive (£659) but appears dooable on Skyscanner - have you actually tried booking and been refused?
                How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                  Been looking into this as one of the kids is spending a year in the US from April - can't get a years return - they used to be called "open tickets" last time I bought one, single US > UK from say JFK > Heathrow is prohibitively expensive (£659) but appears dooable on Skyscanner - have you actually tried booking and been refused?
                  No, just visiting websites to price it up. Will try Skyscanner.

Before the days of the internet, I tried booking a return flight from Paris to Abidjan on Air Afrique as it was much cheaper than the alternatives.

I remember being told that I had to be in the country of departure in order to buy the ticket. As I was in the UK it wasn't possible.

Comment

Just phone up and ask for a one-way ticket. Also query what's the largest sized rucksack you can fit in the overhead storage and which seats are closest to the fuel tanks.

Comment

Working...
                    X