• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boomed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boomed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10 days in advance theoretically which is a record for client!!!!

Although saying that since Friday was pretty much last full business day and they left it till 4pm its sorta only 1 hour to spare I suppose.

Looks like the 1 month crap has been put to bed because its 3 months again. (Turned down 1 month last time but agreed to 2 to run up until end Dec).

Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Have some!!!

Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

From the amount of complaining you have done about your client over the last period I would say getting an extension is <mod edit>not a good thing</mod edit>. Why not turn it down mad go get a client you actually respect and can do business with. I feel like apologising you have boomed worth a client you hate so much.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I hate to say this but NL is right.

I just took the step of telling my last lot not to bother asking to renew me. I have nothing to go to next year and rates on anything I get will be lower than the cushy number I have had the last 6 months but you have to get out of your comfort zone to grow better skills. That was not happening at my last place and if anything I was losing skills while wasting time trying to stakeholder manage a bunch of twunts. I figured that I couldn't win and was just implicating myself in crap. So I pulled the escape cord.

I'd be worried in your shoes that you are in a situation that could prove costly in an IR35 situation,because you never seem to talk about working on projects with finite end dates

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post

I just took the step of telling my last lot not to bother asking to renew me. I have nothing to go to next year and rates on anything I get will be lower than the cushy number I have had the last 6 months but you have to get out of your comfort zone to grow better skills. That was not happening at my last place and if anything I was losing skills while wasting time trying to stakeholder manage a bunch of twunts. I figured that I couldn't win and was just implicating myself in crap. So I pulled the escape cord.

I'd be worried in your shoes that you are in a situation that could prove costly in an IR35 situation,because you never seem to talk about working on projects with finite end dates
          I agree however there is always a risk you can't find something else and after a few months panic and end up in a even worse contract. In the current economic climate its a bit risky.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            From the amount of complaining you have done about your client over the last period I would say getting an extension is not a good thing. Why not turn it down mad go get a client you actually respect and can do business with. I feel like apologising you have boomed worth a client you hate so much.
            Trust good old NLUK to put a damper..... :-)

Dont know what you mean? Best client in the world - can obviously see where the quality is. LOL

On a serious note - I dont hate client at all. They have issues which annoy me a lot sometimes but there we go...
            Good bunch of people I work with though and its close to home.
            Last edited by psychocandy; 23 December 2012, 10:39.

Comment

Spudster. Go for it if thats what you feel. However, working with a non-perfect client is better than sitting at home moaning you're skint. But good luck anyway - hope it works out for you!

Yep - finite projects could be a problem. Always will be unless you're a code monkey (which I ain't) to be honest.
              To be perfectly honest, in my line of work, its pretty much always going to be borderline but you do what you can.

Comment

I've done the same thing. They want to keep me on and have the budget until April, but I told them I won't be renewing at the end of January since I need something more challenging and I need to keep my mind sharp. The whole point for me to go contracting was variety and creating new things. At the moment I am just adding to and tweaking something I've already completed.

Could be viewed as foolish to turn down guaranteed income, and it's only a 30min commute, but that's how I roll

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                  10 days in advance theoretically which is a record for client!!!!

Although saying that since Friday was pretty much last full business day and they left it till 4pm its sorta only 1 hour to spare I suppose.

Looks like the 1 month crap has been put to bed because its 3 months again. (Turned down 1 month last time but agreed to 2 to run up until end Dec).

TBH, I've never understood why people post this 'Boomed!' stuff when they get a contract extension or find a new role!

I just dont get it. Are people insecure and they have to tell everyone? I mean it's not like winning a couple of mill on the lottery.

Best of luck though but must say Im surprised you're celebrating an extension with a client you dont seem to rate.
                  I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                    TBH, I've never understood why people post this 'Boomed!' stuff when they get a contract extension or find a new role!

I just dont get it. Are people insecure and they have to tell everyone? I mean it's not like winning a couple of mill on the lottery.

Best of luck though but must say Im surprised you're celebrating an extension with a client you dont seem to rate.
                    Like I said, got a few negatives but there are positives also.

Of course, if I really hated it here I could turn down the offer, couldn't I?

If you give me your facebook details I'll post on your wall too if you like :-)

Happy xmas!

Comment

Working...
                    X