• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

is it correct that clients payroll team know about my daily rate ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is it correct that clients payroll team know about my daily rate ?

Hi
    i have recnelty started a new projet I’m working for this client of mine and the other day I met one of clients employees outside of the office, apparently he works for the payroll department and recognizes me... i never met him before but he told me that he knws me as a new starter, and he admitted that i earn far more than himself but refused to tell me how much exactly ...

… I’m wondering whether its normal for all payroll staff to know my daily rate ?
    Should I assume all payroll staff knows about my daily rate?

Are you direct? How are you getting paid? Surprised it's the payroll team - you'd expect the finance/invoice processing people to know the agent's rate.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
      Are you direct? How are you getting paid? Surprised it's the payroll team - you'd expect the finance/invoice processing people to know the agent's rate.
      For small companies these are the same people, for slightly larger they often in the same office. So its not surprising, nor anything to be worried about.

Comment

There are lots of reasons for people to legitimately know your rate and this sounds like one of them. I'm a PM and I know the rate of all the contractors working on my projects so I can control my budgets properly. The finance guy in IT knows my rate so he can make sure I am in the budget for 2013 and so do all the PMO people in our area who process my invoices.

Comment

Do you mean he knows the rate paid to the agent, or the rate that you are getting?

If the former, it would be impossible to have nobody at a client knowing what they are paying the agent.

If you mean the latter, some client-agency contracts specify the agent's commission, from which it is not hard to work out your rate.

Comment

I'm direct so he knows my rate and so are most people where I work.

Comment

Originally posted by calacik View Post
              Hi
              i have recnelty started a new projet I’m working for this client of mine and the other day I met one of clients employees outside of the office, apparently he works for the payroll department and recognizes me... i never met him before but he told me that he knws me as a new starter, and he admitted that i earn far more than himself but refused to tell me how much exactly ...

… I’m wondering whether its normal for all payroll staff to know my daily rate ?
              Just wondering, but why shouldn't they? They have to deal with those numbers.

Comment

Poorest sockie we have had for a while.

Comment

WGAS. I dont care if the office cleaner knows my rate....
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by calacik View Post

Yes and Yes.

It's amazing what knowledge staff in the accounting department have about the company. Generally they are boring because they are not allowed to reveal the interest information they know like - the entire department will be shut down in 18 months and moved abroad.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X