• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh Dear - Indian Call Centre

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Dear - Indian Call Centre

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/5122886.stm

Customers with HSBC have had money stolen from their bank accounts through a financial scam operated from its Bangalore call centre in India.
    The bank said funds were taken from a "small number" of HSBC customers in the UK and that it had begun legal action against one of its Bangalore employees.

The worker is said to have supplied customer data to fraudsters, leading to a total of £233,000 being taken.

HSBC said it would be assisting the Indian police with their investigation.

"We intend to pursue a conviction as aggressively as possible," said a spokesman for the bank.

Told you this would happen.

I was in India about 8 years ago , and the police are a joke. Investigation will go nowhere or they will find a scapegoat.

Bribing police for traffic offences is common practice there as well as for many other minor offences , its a policemens perk.

HSBC would have to start pulling out and causing a confidence problem for the government before much would be done as they have a huge reluctance to do anything , and even then that wont stop it happening again.

Comment

Ahem, allow me, Mr Prawn.....

Doooomed!
      Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Originally posted by Bitbucket
        I was in India about 8 years ago , and the police are a joke. Investigation will go nowhere or they will find a scapegoat.

Bribing police for traffic offences is common practice there as well as for many other minor offences , its a policemens perk.

Did our police train them...?
        Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Now this has become public knowledge, the HSBC will have to solidly reassure all their UK customers.

The alternative is their UK customer base will be dessimated rapidly as people switch out of fear, worry or anger.

Comment

Originally posted by BobTheCrate
            Now this has become public knowledge, the HSBC will have to solidly reassure all their UK customers.

The alternative is their UK customer base will be dessimated rapidly as people switch out of fear, worry or anger.
            you seem to be underestimating the level of apathy people have when it comes to their finances.
            Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

That's as maybe. But if the HSBC over estimate that apathy, they're playing a bloody risky and unnecessary game. Particularly if their 'steps' don't measure up and it happens a 2nd time !

Comment

will this or a 2nd occurence be on the front page of the Sun
                will Auntie and ITV make a big issue of it during the news

I believe the answeres willto both these will be NO and if it happend a 2nd time then the answers will still be NO.

Apathy is how the main highstreet banks (HSBC, NATWEST, LLOYS and Barclays) survive. If you compare (in a general sence) thier products with most others availabe you'll find they are not very competitive but, people still stick with them.

Long live Apathy and all that sail with her.
                Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

This is not the first such activity to occur, just the first to break cover.

I reported on this forum nearly two years ago that I had met a bloke reponsible for security issues with a major credit card company (he didn't say which one) who had just been out to India to sort out a problem of staff selling customer details. He expected it to make the news but it never did.

How many other problems have gone unreported?
                  I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                  Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Think how much it would cost a crime syndicate to bribe a call centre manager in India?

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Working...
                    X