• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying Property - Cont.. from 'Biggest morgage'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying Property - Cont.. from 'Biggest morgage'

This is sort of continued from the thread about leaving money in the company vs taking it out as quickly as possible too...

What is the general opinion of buying property through the company (i.e. company assets) as opposed to taking the money out and buying them personally? I would imagine that there would be slightly higher tax (overall) to pay if you bought them through the company, however if viewed as a long term business plan it would possible to ramp up alternative earnings from the company owning property (with a view to me having to do less work as I'm drawing on these earnings).

Note I'm not talking about the family home - talking about BTL. Note also that I'm also not after an opinion on the housing market either!
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

not wanting to hijack but i think it may be better to stash the money into pension trust and then look at buy to lets coming out of that money... presuming the return is required over the long term.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SA - Is it like a dragons nostril?

Comment

Hi Kramer,

So taking the money out of the company into your own pension trust you mean?

Just out of interest, what drives this opinion? TYVM
      "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

The problem you have with that is that the mortage company are reluctant to put a title deed in a company name. I have sold all my property now but when I was looking for a BTL nobody would put it in a company name.

IR will see that you personally own the asset and then say it was a company loan and unless repaid will be taxed so.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect
          What is the general opinion of buying property through the company (i.e. company assets) as opposed to taking the money out and buying them personally?
          It can be a very bad idea, but depends upon circumstances. If your plan is to build a protfolio of property and sell the company on as a ready made portfolio then it has merit. Otherwise it generally doesn't - but depends upon individual circumstances.

Don't even think of moving abroad if you have property held in a company. At least not without reading up very carefully on exit charges.

You can get a good introduction to some of the pros and cons here: http://www.taxcafebooks.co.uk/produc...995&prodid=upc

Comment

Nice one - thanks

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
            X