• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Too Stupid or a Liar?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too Stupid or a Liar?

Too Stupid or a Liar?

BBC News - Falklands invasion 'surprised' Thatcher

The 1982 invasion of the Falkland Islands by Argentina took Margaret Thatcher by surprise, newly released government papers have shown.
    I will always remember a document on BBC 2 a few months prior to the invasion. It spelt out that if the HMS Endurance is withdrawn, the Argies will attack

Falklands War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Britain was initially taken by surprise by the Argentine attack on the South Atlantic islands, despite repeated warnings by Royal Navy captain Nicholas Barker and others. Barker believed that the intention expressed in Defence Secretary John Nott's 1981 review planning future withdrawal of HMS Endurance, Britain's only naval presence in the South Atlantic, sent a signal to the Argentines that Britain was unwilling, and would soon be unable, to defend its territories and subjects in the Falklands
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

I am inclined to say neither - it was 30 years ago and to be honest who really cares?

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
      I am inclined to say neither - it was 30 years ago and to be honest who really cares?
      Agreed, but that doesn't stop a load of partisan, tax-payer funded parasites from popping up in the MSM with the usual "Fatcher" rhetoric...
      If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Maybe she was way too clever? She was never going to get re-elected. She knew what she had to do to save the country(and God knows we need a leader like that now) and knew she was fooked.

Surprised the Argies fell for it. I mean look at Goose Green. 600 Argies dug in. Should require 1800 to get them out. Took 200 paras. It was men versus boys.

Plus if they had won we would have nuked them......

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
          Too Stupid or a Liar?

I will always remember a document on BBC 2 a few months prior to the invasion. It spelt out that if the HMS Endurance is withdrawn, the Argies will attack

Never bought into this theory. HMS Endurance would have had at best a company of Marines and no other significant offensive armament. It would have been incapable of stopping any invasion force.

Comment

Also interesting to see her tell Reagan where he could stick it - when at the time she was being portrayed as his poodle.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
              That's not the point, it was the message it sent, "UK is no longer interested in the South Atlantic".

Stunning incompetence.

But a neat way to get re-elected.

Apart from the 1000 lives lost of course.
              WZS
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                Too Stupid or a Liar?
                Neither.

Some people in 1982 were of the opinion that if Endurance was withdrawn, the Argies would attack. However, while the causal link may be clear now, at the time it wasn't necessarily so obvious. As we'll find out in about just over 7 years - 20-20 vision is always perfect.

The left have always demonised Thatcher, claiming she planned the Falklands campaign in order to ensure an election victory. I think that is more born out of their irrational impotence fueled hatred than out of any really evidence.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                  That's not the point, it was the message it sent, "UK is no longer interested in the South Atlantic".

Stunning incompetence.

But a neat way to get re-elected.

Apart from the 1000 lives lost of course.
                  Only 256 Brits though wasn't it?

It was like winning 3-1.

Then the opposition sacking their manager. Who used to shoot his own fans.

Comment

Working...
                  X