• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

looking for a contract whilst in a contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looking for a contract whilst in a contract

Hi clan

Usually I don't look for a new contract whilst still in one, but would like to this time around, and would like some guidelines.

My first issue is updating my CV. I'm worried about naming my current employer? but don't really see how I can avoid it.

Some background - my contract run's until the end of April 2013, the work is easy, but low paid. However the office politics is something else (It's obvious to me they need a contractor because they treat there staff so badly). So I'm looking for something other than just-quitting.

NOTE: If I don't find anything, I'd like to still have the option of grind-it-out until April

thanks

richard101

Once an agent gets your CV they will often try to back fill your position - even if they don't get you anything else. Make sure you don't give your boss as a reference at any time - but especially true in your current position.

Personally I was always on the lookout for a new gig. They would not hesitate to give you notice - so why treat them differently?

People often talk about burning bridges - but I have given notice a couple of times and still returned.

Comment

Originally posted by richard101 View Post
      Usually I don't look for a new contract whilst still in one, but would like to this time around, and would like some guidelines.

My first issue is updating my CV. I'm worried about naming my current employer? but don't really see how I can avoid it.
      FFS - If you're a contractor they are _not_ your employer - They're your client!

And if they find out you're looking around, all the better for you when it comes to negotiating a higher rate.

All the same, I wouldn't put my current client on a CV or a Linkedin profile etc, or else they'll be badgered by pimps.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Look around but submit a CV that's up to date other than the current ClientCo.

Your skillset won't change between the last two gigs and references only supplied when there's an offer so your current ClientCo won't get hassled.

Oh, and play hard with the pimp cos they'll do the same with you.
        Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by richard101 View Post
          I'm worried about naming my current employer? but don't really see how I can avoid it.
          Dead easy. Instead of the bit where you would normally put Poundstretcher, put [High street retailer]. With anybody halfway professional, your discretion will count in your favour.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
            Dead easy. Instead of the bit where you would normally put Poundstretcher, put [High street retailer]. With anybody halfway professional, your discretion will count in your favour.
            I don't have client names or contract dates on my CV and it doesn't seem to bother the agencies. YMMV.

Clients might be less comfortable but you can name drop if and when it feels appropriate. At one interview, having already gone into quite some detail about a recent project, the hiring manager asked exactly who the client was and I declined to answer citing confidentiality - I got the gig.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
              This is what I do. And I have seperate copies of my CV. One with "Poundstretcher in Reading" and the other with "High Street Retailer in Berkshire"

I'm ok with showing my CV with client names once I know the agency are interested and/or the client want me for interview.
              Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Is the poundstretcher rate £1/day ?

Comment

Working...
                X