• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ballsed up my curried turkey yet again

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ballsed up my curried turkey yet again

Bought a bottle of vindaloo curry sauce, diced the turkey leftovers, and boiled them in it.

But as always the result looks and tastes like vaguely curry tinted diced turkey leftovers, with none of that proper curry result one would get like chicken vindaloo in a curry house.

So what am I doing wrong?

I suspect one bottle of curry sauce (the size of a baked bean can) can only "carry" so much meat, and I tried to mix in too much. Or does something need adding to give an authentic curry house texture and better mask the turkey taste? Or is curry sauce rubbish and not fit for purpose anyway?
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Never boil a ready made sauce just heat through.
    Me, me, me...

Comment

...and turkey doesn't really go with vindaloo sauce anyway.
      This year we had turky fajitas.

Comment

Dice an onion, thinly slice a garlic clove. Fry on a low heat in butter until soft. Add turmeric and cumin. Add the chopped turkey meat. Stir for five- ten minutes, then add the bought sauce, a tin of chopped tomato, a chili pepper or two, some ground pepper, and possibly a little water. Turn up the heat and bring to the boil. Turn the heat down and simmer for an hour or two. Leave to cool, then pop it in the fridge for 12-24 hours.

Heat through just before serving with naan bread.

My guess is you didn't cook it long enough to absorb the flavours.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          Dice an onion, thinly slice a garlic clove. Fry on a low heat in butter until soft. Add turmeric and cumin. Add the chopped turkey meat. Stir for five- ten minutes, then add the bought sauce, a tin of chopped tomato, a chili pepper or two, some ground pepper, and possibly a little water. Turn up the heat and bring to the boil. Turn the heat down and simmer for an hour or two. Leave to cool, then pop it in the fridge for 12-24 hours.

Heat through just before serving with naan bread.

My guess is you didn't cook it long enough to absorb the flavours.
          Crikey you must be right - I didn't add any of that stuff, and only boiled the concoction for 5 minutes. Any longer and it would all have been stuck to the bottom of the pan.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            Crikey you must be right - I didn't add any of that stuff, and only boiled the concoction for 5 minutes. Any longer and it would all have been stuck to the bottom of the pan.
            Order a take out.

Comment

Hmm. Curry sauces can be very good (Patak springs to mind) but do lack a bit of oomph.
              I'd fry the diced onion and garlic with some mustard seeds (optional), add a tsp cumin, tsp coriander(also optional) and either some chilli flakes or some fresh whole chillis (just prick them) then bung in sauce with a few pieces of turkey and gently cook for a while.
              When onion is properly cooked chuck in rest of turkey, heat for a min or two and switch off.
              Go to pub for two (preferably three) hours.
              Return from pub, gently heat through curry while toasting naans or chapattis. Serve.

Don't over cook already cooked meat - recipe for disaster - as it breaks down to a mush.
              +50 Xeno Geek Points
              Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
              As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Or..... Try thai -

Fry onion and garlic till soft, add couple teaspoons green curry paste (from supermarket) and mix together. Add can coconut milk, a couple Kaffir lime leaves and bring to the boil then chuck in your diced turkey. Once the juice is thickened - just before serving really, add a mix of tablespoon fish sauce, couple tablespoons soy sauce, juice and zest of lime. Give it another couple of minutes minutes and then serve with boiled rice.

I've made this loads with fresh chicken and the quantities are ideal for a couple of juicy breasts (where's the sid james emoticon?). Works well with turkey too though - I shouldn't really have to say but.... make sure you cook fresh meat through rather than reheating as above! Adjust quantities if you've got 4 kilos of turkey meat too.

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                  Hmm. Curry sauces can be very good (Patak springs to mind) but do lack a bit of oomph.
                  I'd fry the diced onion and garlic with some mustard seeds (optional), add a tsp cumin, tsp coriander(also optional) and either some chilli flakes or some fresh whole chillis (just prick them) then bung in sauce with a few pieces of turkey and gently cook for a while.
                  When onion is properly cooked chuck in rest of turkey, heat for a min or two and switch off.
                  Go to pub for two (preferably three) hours.
                  Return from pub, gently heat through curry while toasting naans or chapattis. Serve.

Don't over cook already cooked meat - recipe for disaster - as it breaks down to a mush.
                  I love that 'go to the pub' is part of the recipe

Swoon
                  Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Make it yourself, it doesn't take long and it's much better than out of a jar.

A mate gave me his mum's simplified quick chicken curry, he says it's not as good as her main version but I think it's bloody marvellous and great for the extra meat this time of year.

(Actually Zipp's recipe does sound like a great half-way house recipe...)
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                    X