• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Where has all the street art gone ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where has all the street art gone ?

Went to Italy to escape the Bobs for just a few short weeks. Expected to breath the culture, relax, see some street artists during the process. Sadly every step of the way I am being harassed by Punjabis, Banglaeshis, Senegalis aggressively peddling cheap souvenirs made in China, flowers (at best) more often fake Italian designers... Feeling tense, irritated. No escape. Its New Delhi all over.
    Last edited by mos; 30 December 2012, 10:24.
    If UKIP are the answer, then it must have been a very stupid question.

Comment

Always baffles me how some of these street peddlars and market stall holders make enough money for it to be worthwhile

Was in Shepherds Bush market the other day, where there is stall after stall of gaudy tat which nobody seemed remotely interested in buying. I'd be surprised if some of them sold more than a dozen items all day. So how on Earth can they profit from all the time they must spend setting it all up, sitting by it the whole day, and then packing it all up each evening?
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

The usual scam is:

Person with no money needs money (typically illegal immigrant).

Unscrupulous 'dealer' says he can sell tat - e.g he can sell plastic big bens for a fiver, and he gets to keep £1 for every one sold. Easy money. He gives him an advance on his 'wages' to buy food, so seller is in debt. As he's never going to recover enough money to pay back the 'loan' he's effectively enslaved.

Nice, isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by mos View Post
          That's because no-one can beat the racist turn of phrase the way you can mos.

I'd go skiing if I were you, they are mostly white, rich punters on the slopes. Hardly a coloured face selling you anything in the shops either.

"I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
            I dunno - there's a few contenders.

Comment

I'd go skiing if I were you, they are mostly white, rich punters on the slopes. Hardly a coloured face selling you anything in the shops either.

Good point. Might be a good idea to also go skiing with a klu klux klan mask and maybe put up a few posters banning black/brown/yellow faces from coming anywhere near you.
              Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Is it racist to feel more comfortable being around ones own race?

Comment

Hi Cojak, I have been to Ski resort earlier this year - first couple of days of the season. We are mostly poor people there, you can get the bed and meal for £20 + £10 equipment + £15 chair lift (you can walk up if you like, many people do). It used to be even cheaper a few years ago, oh well...

Now I am in Italy, if you also were here with the intention of spending a few cultured days among other tourists (not in gated palace) and you saw how this went out of hands here, you would see my angle. Sorry you take it as racism ... if only you could see what I see ...

Comment

But actually you have a point ... it is influential people who live in gated palatial estates who allowed this to get out of hand ... and we, normal tax payers have to bear the consequences.

Comment

Working...
                    X