• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Control by co-workers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Control by co-workers

Tulip.
    Last edited by xara; 11 April 2013, 13:31.

I don't know whether it would have any impact, but I still think you should tell them to bugger off and mind their own business.

Comment

Do one task and open the floodgates. Impose your own rules.
      Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
        I don't know whether it would have any impact, but I still think you should tell them to bugger off and mind their own business.
        WTTS

Comment

sounds to me like the perfect place for blame culture to thrive when deadlines are not met. "HE was 'meant' to do x/y/z .... not me , we agreed it !".

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            WTTS
            If you give them an inch they will take the piss.

You have deliverables, you divvy them up with your colleagues, you do yours.

That's it, if you want to help them with theirs then fine but you are doing them a favour. Trust me they will be putting down getting you a cup at the watercooler.

I used to help my colleagues,nothing was too much trouble, then I ended up in hospital and they shat on me. won't waste my time like that again.

I have my family, friends & bank account. My Colleagues have their problems - I'm happy
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by xara View Post
              Currently doing a remote gig.

Client is pretty relaxed about how, where and when things get done, as long as they get done. Deliverable is fairly well-defined.

Others on the same project on the other hand are taking advantage of the looseness of the arrangement to make all kinds of suggestions as to what I should/must be doing, asking me to help out, etc. They don't really have any mandate to do so but this is not stopping them from trying.

Question: does this impact 'working arrangements' meaningfully, does it indicate client control? Should I be telling them where to go?
              Tell them to p155 off
              Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Whereas I'm all for not letting others/client take the piss (if they can they will mostly) Im always a bit wary of this "I'm not doing x because of IR35".

Clients don't care about IR35. They just want the job done. If you prance around like an awkward twat then its gonna piss them off = no contract anyway.

Not saying there are some things that you should stick to guns with though but pick your battles....
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                X