• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Kindle fire question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kindle fire question

Got my kindle fire from USA before the UK launch.

Will not let me download kindle apps etc stating geography restriction.

Has anyone with a us kindle successfully changed it over to UK?

Originally posted by Gruffalo View Post

Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
      Tell me about it. My other tablet is a blackberry playbook.

I really don't want to buy yet another tablet for Android apps!!!

Comment

So you save a fiver and get locked out cos you're in a different country?
        Me, me, me...

Comment

Dunno about other stuff, i'm pure android for simplicities sake. I got a nexus 7 for my daughter and have just upgraded my phone to HTC One X+ and i'm suitably impressed all round - albums, films, books etc all seem we catered for and easy to mix and match.

First issue i've encountered is a lack of flash preventing playing of Snowman and the Snowdog from 4oD but standard windows laptop backup saved that situation - bit of a bummer though

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
            So you save a fiver and get locked out cos you're in a different country?
            Got it a year ago before it was even considered to be launched in UK, just getting into the app bug though.

Comment

Should have bought iPad Mini Wilmslow....

Comment

One chap in this thread babbles about a software update: Amazon.co.uk: Customer Discussions: Kindle Fire US model ? can use UK apps but others say that won't work for the original Fire.

Right, now where was that thread about how Apple screw users by locking everything down, whereas Android puts users in control because it's "open"?

Comment

Got it a year ago before it was even considered to be launched in UK, just getting into the app bug though.
                  Seems you might be stuffed...
                  http://www.amazon.co.uk/forum/kindle...TxEOCC1WCJYAN8
                  Amazon.co.uk: Customer Discussions: Using a US Purchased Kindle Fire in UK

Kindle Fire 1st Generation and its related services were designed to be used within the US only.

You will be able to use the Kindle reader and access the internet outside of the US if the device is connected to Wi-Fi. Unfortunately, we can't guarantee that any other services will work on your Kindle Fire 1st Generation outside the US.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    Right, now where was that thread about how Apple screw users by locking everything down, whereas Android puts users in control because it's "open"?
                    Not entirely fair, Nick. Was Kindle v1 sold as an open Android device? I think not.

Comment

Working...
                    X