• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tax Hell: 73% rates cripple UK families, killing 'aspiration nation'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax Hell: 73% rates cripple UK families, killing 'aspiration nation'

Just saw this, disgusting.

Tax Hell: 73% rates cripple UK families, killing 'aspiration nation' - YouTube

Only watched the first 40 seconds before I need to raise an objection. Actually 2, the first is minor - they are only talking direct taxes, and they seem to be basing their percentage on amount paid in direct tax vs amount received in benefits - so they are complaining that high earners don't receive many benefits?

They start off by defining the "average British household" as 2 parents, 2 children and 1 earner.

Is this in any way true anymore? If the 1 breadwinner is a higher rate tax payer then maybe, but in most households I know you need two earners to survive. A 2 bedroom house where I live rents at about £700 pcm, and sells at around £200K. I always base mortgages on 3.5 terms salary (I know banks have been keen to lend more and more), so you would need a £50K deposit and earnings of over £40K. Neither renting nor buying seems possible to the "average family" (average wages are what, about £27K?) if there is only 1 earner.

What a load of bollocks. But then, it's Russia Today - you should receive £1 in state benefits for £1 in taxation. Goddamn commies. Happy New Year.

Comment

What a load of Shiite. Where the fook do they calculate 73% from???

Must be based on income tax, NI, vat on all purchases and duties based on beer consumption etc etc.

Load of tosh.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

British Tax: Families with one bread winner pay highest amount | Mail Online

"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
          Only watched the first 40 seconds before I need to raise an objection. Actually 2, the first is minor - they are only talking direct taxes, and they seem to be basing their percentage on amount paid in direct tax vs amount received in benefits - so they are complaining that high earners don't receive many benefits?

They start off by defining the "average British household" as 2 parents, 2 children and 1 earner.

Is this in any way true anymore? If the 1 breadwinner is a higher rate tax payer then maybe, but in most households I know you need two earners to survive. A 2 bedroom house where I live rents at about £700 pcm, and sells at around £200K. I always base mortgages on 3.5 terms salary (I know banks have been keen to lend more and more), so you would need a £50K deposit and earnings of over £40K. Neither renting nor buying seems possible to the "average family" (average wages are what, about £27K?) if there is only 1 earner.

What a load of bollocks. But then, it's Russia Today - you should receive £1 in state benefits for £1 in taxation. Goddamn commies. Happy New Year.
          The report is from the UK you ignorant bigot
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            What a load of Shiite. Where the fook do they calculate 73% from???

Must be based on income tax, NI, vat on all purchases and duties based on beer consumption etc etc.

Load of tosh.
            No - they're counting benefits you don't get which you would be 'entitled' to if you weren't working as 'tax'.

So - £750 pm housing benefit, £500 jobseekers = £1200 "tax".

Ridiculous. I'm a strong believer in working people being better off than those on benefits, but to encourage the mentality that you're somehow losing benefits you're entitled to by working is just stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
              to encourage the mentality that you're somehow losing benefits you're entitled to by working is just stupid.
              So basically we shouldn't teach children maths then.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I do agree about the part regarding 'not getting anything back'.

I don't think I get any concessions or benefits, I never use the NHS or the library for example. I suppose the 'indirect' government services I pay for are there though .. i.e. police, fire brigade, defence, street lightning, road and street repair but for the amount I pay..... it aint worth it !

Comment

A classic example of how you can jig numbers to paint the picture you want to tell. This report is from a UK based leftie organisation that is campaigning against the removal of benefits.

Firstly, this isn't the overall tax rate, but the "Marginal Effective Tax Rate" for a small number of people with highly specific circumstances. You need to be earning a very specific salary to pay 73% marginal tax - and have other specific lifestyle circumstances. At least some rags are a bit clearer about this

The families being hammered by a 73% tax - income tax and National Insurance combine with loss of benefits | This is Money

The whole bloody problem is that we have tax credits in the first place. Taxing people - and then crediting them back some of that tax - just do away with tax credits and reduce the tax level. Don't take the money off them in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by sbakoola View Post
                    I do agree about the part regarding 'not getting anything back'.

I don't think I get any concessions or benefits, I never use the NHS or the library for example. I suppose the 'indirect' government services I pay for are there though .. i.e. police, fire brigade, defence, street lightning, road and street repair but for the amount I pay..... it aint worth it !
                    You'd prefer to have no police, fire brigade, defence, street lighting (I assume you didn't mean lightning) or roads?

One woman on that video was saying "there never seems to be anything for the children". 18 years of free education is nothing?
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X