• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Elite Dangerous : on KickStarter.com

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elite Dangerous : on KickStarter.com

If you're a fan of 1980s space trade/fight simulator ELITE on the Spectrum and Commodore 64 then note that one of the original creators David Braben is trying to fund a multi-player online version of this game. He is around £90k short with just under 3 days to go to reach his funding target. The game is due to be released March 2014.

I think you can help fund this and get a digital copy of the game for £20.00 when it comes out.

If he doesn't get the £1.25 million goal to fund this, you get a refund or I think your card is not charged. I pledged £20.00 and I hope he gets the full funding..(although I dunno if I'll have time to play it when (if) it comes out in 2014.

here is the link..

Elite: Dangerous by Frontier Developments — Kickstarter

Not fan of Elite series, but backed some other oldie game - Quest for Glory

Comment

Originally posted by sbakoola View Post
      If you're a fan of 1980s space trade/fight simulator ELITE on the Spectrum and Commodore 64 then note that one of the original creators David Braben is trying to fund a multi-player online version of this game. He is around £90k short with just under 3 days to go to reach his funding target. The game is due to be released March 2014.

I think you can help fund this and get a digital copy of the game for £20.00 when it comes out.

If he doesn't get the £1.25 million goal to fund this, you get a refund or I think your card is not charged. I pledged £20.00 and I hope he gets the full funding..(although I dunno if I'll have time to play it when (if) it comes out in 2014.

here is the link..

Elite: Dangerous by Frontier Developments — Kickstarter
      A lot of controversy surrround the multitude of Kickstarter projects out there at the moment. Some already failed, others seriously curtailed, others seriously delayed. No money back in the event the project never delivers or falls far short of expectations.

There is even more controvesy around the Braben's and Molyneux's of this world ever even needing/using Kickstarter in the first place.

Whatever, I'm in the camp of "I'll buy it if it's any good once it's fully completed, available for sale, and has decent reviews."
      nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
        There is even more controvesy around the Braben's and Molyneux's of this world ever even needing/using Kickstarter in the first place.
        Even Molyneux needs these days to know that there is real demand for games.

Elite series won't get funded by major game labels (EA for example) - the only way good old games can come back is by having funding from people who loved them in the first place.

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
        Whatever, I'm in the camp of "I'll buy it if it's any good once it's fully completed, available for sale, and has decent reviews."
        You might not get it at all if it does not get funded - even well known names (in 90s) of game makers barely scrap it to hit funding targets, it's not easy at all.

Comment

The Elite sequel has been vapourware for years, probably approaching decades given the last release was in the mid 90s.

If Braben couldn't covince professional investors over 15+ years that the project is viable...

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
            If Braben couldn't convince professional investors over 15+ years that the project is viable...
            This^

And the latest "demo" they showed - of their admittedly early W.I.P. - looked pathetic.

If it fails get funded, I won't be losing any sleep over it.
            nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
              If Braben couldn't covince professional investors over 15+ years that the project is viable...
              Having worked in the games industry, I can explain how you get backing from the "professionals": you present them with a finished product. They then deign to cover the manufacturing and distribution costs in return for most or all of the profits. But as an independent developer, you'll get sod all in terms of investment in the actual development of the product, unless you start by signing over your company and all rights to your product first - while retaining all the risk, of course. The games industry is, if anything, even more shark-infested than music or movies.

The point is that it's now viable to put a twenty-strong team to work for a year-and-a-half by crowdsourcing alone, and to distribute the finished product online, in a way that wasn't commercially practicable until very recently. Think back to the average home Internet connection speed even five years ago: no way could you distribute a 1GB game (or movie or TV how, come to that) online and reach a large market.

Comment

I loved Elite when it came out on the BBC Micro.

I haven't played Eve but isn't this what evolved from the concept of an online version of space trading, combat and exploring?

SWTOR came out while WoW was around though, and although I played it, I eventually stopped as it didn't offer anything particularly new over WoW (as much as I loved the SW universe).
                If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

well they've crossed the £1,250,000 mark with 52 hours to go so looks like the project is going ahead.

Comment

Loved Elite and played it on the BBC B and C64. This keeps it going linky

Elite II or whatever it was called was a huge disappointment, not sure about the latest iteration and why would I want it to be multi-player in a constantly evolving open ended universe?

If it's any good I'll buy it but I'm not going to contribute to it, Braben has a poor track record of delivery.
                    Me, me, me...

Comment

Working...
                    X