• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Self assessment payment on account and capital gains

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self assessment payment on account and capital gains

Hi, do I need to factor in to my self assessment payments on account possible capital gains I might have or is it treated differently ? I have a possible large capital gains liability from a house sale but it may fall through.

thanks
    I like big butts and I cannot lie.

Why would you pay tax on something you haven't received yet and may never even come to be?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Why would you pay tax on something you haven't received yet and may never even come to be?
      Thats how payments on account work though isn't it, we are supposed to look into are crystal balls and guess our income and then modify our payments on account to reflect this guess and then claim anything back we don't owe or pay interest on what we under paid.

Comment

Originally posted by ELBBUBKUNPS View Post
        Thats how payments on account work though isn't it, we are supposed to look into are crystal balls and guess our income and then modify our payments on account to reflect this guess and then claim anything back we don't owe or pay interest on what we under paid.
        Not really, you're supposed to pay up what you paid last year and adjust if you're over / under in January.
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
          Not really, you're supposed to pay up what you paid last year and adjust if you're over / under in January.
          Thanks. Thing is based on income without factoring in captial gains I want to reduce my payments on account for 12/13, however if capital gains needs to be factored in there is no point.

Comment

Originally posted by ELBBUBKUNPS View Post
            Thanks. Thing is based on income without factoring in captial gains I want to reduce my payments on account for 12/13, however if capital gains needs to be factored in there is no point.
            This is the form,

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/sa/forms/sa303.pdf

says to ignore CGT, so you should be fine.

I'd remember to not spend the CGT though!

Usual disclaimers apply, IANAA, IANAL etc.
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Concur with MMs advice.

Comment

Thanks MM and J.

I had spotted that on that form but when I called SA helpline to confirm the weren't really sure and wouldnt commit to saying 'no don't factor it in'. I probably didn't explain it clearly enough to them or I was talking to someone they have just drafted in to ramp up the call centre in the run up to Jan 31st deadline.

thanks

Comment

Working...
                X