• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Young 'cannot cope with daily life'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Young 'cannot cope with daily life'

BBC News - Young 'cannot cope with daily life'

No surprise really. School no longer prepares them for the real world. Wrapped up in cotton wool in a totally safe environment. And always being told they are going to be someone.

About time really that schools told them lifes a bitch, then you marry one, then you die. Like the good old days......

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    About time really that schools told them lifes a bitch, then you marry one, then you die. Like the good old days......
    Damn straight, all these figures and statistics telling the kids how they are doing but they can't tell day by day. In the old days coming home with or without a cane mark was a clear indicator of how you did that day.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      .. In the old days coming home with or without a cane mark was a clear indicator of how you did that day.
      Chortle!
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

BBC News - Young 'cannot cope with daily life'

No surprise really.Parentsno longer prepare them for the real world. Wrapped up in cotton wool in a totally safe environment. And always being told they are going to be someone.

About time really that sParents told them lifes a bitch, then you marry one,then you divorce, then you have a right old shag fest, then you meet the right person then you die. Like the good old days......
        FTFY
        But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

No surprise really. Even if you're good at school it's nothing like being fantastic at business and work. The attitude of "everyone is a winner" kids are told in school doesn't apply in the real world and the teachers giving career advise have no idea. Most tutors haven't ever worked beyond their own profession yet are giving out career advice from the back of a leaflet.

Most come out of school or uni thinking "wahey! I got an A+ in English Literature and everyone says I'm great, the world must owe me something...". A generalisation I know, but most just aren't ready for the real world - the lack of common sense is shocking! "The phone is ringing, what do I do?" ~ er...pick it up maybe? lol

There is a huge gap between education as a child and business. That's why you sometimes find those without A's on their scorecard actually make good business people.

Comment

I am already preparing my kids for the real world. Get A levels (degree is too expensive) then get a skill you can use to move abroad.

They know alot about sarcasm too.

And got them laptops with these warnings :-
            1. I have a friend whose hobby is going onto lesbian chat sites. People will lie on the internet(not that I would ever stoop that low).
            2. Never ever meet anyone in real life without letting someone else know.
            3. If it goes wrong FFS tell me so I can sort it out. And have a good laugh about it.....

Comment

The tippest toppest bit of advice I can give is get them a part time job at 16 and stop giving them pocket money. The amount of soft skills it teaches is invaluable for later life. It's not the same paying them for household tasks. They have to learn to get along with stroppy bosses, conniving colleagues for themselves. If they don't like it then get another job before packing it in etc. Time planning, money planning, the joy of your own wage packet.

HTH
              But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
                The tippest toppest bit of advice I can give is get them a part time job at 16 and stop giving them pocket money. The amount of soft skills it teaches is invaluable for later life. It's not the same paying them for household tasks. They have to learn to get along with stroppy bosses, conniving colleagues for themselves. If they don't like it then get another job before packing it in etc. Time planning, money planning, the joy of your own wage packet.

HTH
                +1

Did me the world of good.

I just wish I had not spent half my money on space invaders. But there we go.

Comment

+1

Did me the world of good.

I just wish I had not spent half my money on space invaders. But there we go.
                  Should have spent the money on low class whores!
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    Should have spent the money on low class whores!

That's where the other half went

Back to the OP though - Parents are just as much to blame (if not more) as the schools
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                    X