• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Where to retire to on a budget of less than $1,000 (£612) a month

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where the sun shines

Retire on the cheap – and still get endless sun! Research shows you can live on less than a grand a month in world’s 'best value' countries

According to new research retired couples can lives on a budget of less than $1,000 (£612) a month if they are willing to look oversees
    40.3 million people aged 65 and older in the U.S. and 10 million in the UK
    Some of the options may be preferable than the rising costs at home

SAMPLE MONTHLY BUDGET FOR TWO PEOPLE IN PANAMA (canoe extra)

Rent: $800/£490
    Electricity: $100/£60
    Water: $15/£9
    Gas for cooking, water heaters, dryer, etc: $15/£9
    Groceries: $400/£245
    Entertainment: $200/£122
    Phone/Internet/Cable: $60/£36
    Transportation (taxi or fuel/maintenance on one small car, low to moderate use): $100/£60
    Full-time maid : $175/£107
    Monthly total: $1,865/£1,142

How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Originally posted by Troll View Post
    Some of the options may be preferable than the rising costs at home
    I cant think why anyone would want to retire here. Its cold, its miserable, and its fracking expensive.

Comment

Odessa is nice if you can stay away from the girls looking for a visa mule..

Cheap, Westerner friendly (unlike Russia) good docs, Shiite hossies, I fancy it...

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        Odessa is nice if you can stay away from the girls looking for a visa mule..

Cheap, Westerner friendly (unlike Russia) good docs, Shiite hossies, I fancy it...
        I've been to Odessa - were you being ironic?
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

When I'm old I want to be somewhere with good healthcare. Obviously the UK isn't the place, but is Panama?
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            When I'm old I want to be somewhere with good healthcare. Obviously the UK isn't the place, but is Panama?
            The UK is great if you have a life threatening condition.

Comment

If I didn't have any ties, it'd be Panama for me.
              ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                The UK is great if you have a life threatening condition.
                Great in the sense you'll probably die from it?

My elderly Auntie fell on the black ice recently. She then called an ambulance (it came 5 hours later) And was told in A&E that she had broken a tiny bone in her elbow. A few days later, her arm is swollen, looks red and angry and is hard to the touch. So I had to accompany her to the A&E (4 hours wait) where it turned out they had given her an infection by drawing blood from the swelling. She was originally told she had broken a tiny bone in her elbow, this visit to A&E the registrar said no there is no break I can see but lets get you to radiology to confirm. Radiologist, no breakage, definitely not. She is then told by two consultants that they think she had dislocated it, but it had popped right in, but no breakage.

She leaves hospital (she was admitted to have intravenous antibiotics following the infection they gave her.) She has to attend the trauma clinic where the consultant there says it is definitely broken.

They are fracking clowns. Who not only cant make a diagnosis and stick to it, but spread infection and they cant even do this in a timely fashion.
                Last edited by escapeUK; 3 January 2013, 12:23.

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
                  I cant think why anyone would want to retire here. Its cold, its miserable, and its fracking expensive.
                  But the healthcare is free, which might be a consideration as you get older.

EDIT. Ok, given your post about your Auntie, healthcare probably isn't a consideration.
                  Last edited by Platypus; 3 January 2013, 12:45.

Comment

Cuba has one of the best healthcare systems in the world - young doctors, even the best ones are sent to rural areas - many of them find a girl/boy there and stay to practition so you may get a the best GP is some Cuban village.
                    As for immigration - just bribe some people and say "Viva la revolucion' when necessary - it's all relaxed by now.

Comment

Working...
                    X