• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ever been on a contract where...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

...you aren't quite sure what's going on or what you are actually supposed to be doing?

Four weeks into my latest gig. PM turns up about 3 days in each week, but only for 2-3 hours and then disappears. Lead Architect pretty much the same. I've read all the docs they wanted me to read, and attend all the meetings they want me to attend. Very, very nice people, but just unbelievably disorganised.

Spoke to the contractor who sits behind me today, and he pretty much says that's the way things are around the place; even he can't believe it, and he's been there six months already.

Can't say I'm unhappy with the gig. - decent rates of pay and lots of cutting-edge tech. to beef up the c.v. They also have no problem signing timesheets, and I have no problem getting paid. It all just seems a bit, er, weird. The gig. feels like an out-of-body experience.

Ever faced anything similar?
    nomadd liked this post

Yes. Next.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
      ...you aren't quite sure what's going on or what you are actually supposed to be doing?

Four weeks into my latest gig. PM turns up about 3 days in each week, but only for 2-3 hours and then disappears. Lead Architect pretty much the same. I've read all the docs they wanted me to read, and attend all the meetings they want me to attend. Very, very nice people, but just unbelievably disorganised.

Spoke to the contractor who sits behind me today, and he pretty much says that's the way things are around the place; even he can't believe it, and he's been there six months already.

Can't say I'm unhappy with the gig. - decent rates of pay and lots of cutting-edge tech. to beef up the c.v. They also have no problem signing timesheets, and I have no problem getting paid. It all just seems a bit, er, weird. The gig. feels like an out-of-body experience.

Ever faced anything similar?
      Did u read my Boring Contract thread today? Are we sockies of each other?

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
        Yes. Next.
        Did you manage to get anything cheap in their sales?
        nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
          No, but you could be playing a waiting game waiting for new budgets to come through.

Or more realistically you could be there to soak up some budget for your boss so he doesn't get his wings clipped next fiscal year.

Either way, you lucky bastards should be using the time wisely to learn new skills or work on plan b.

You lot sure you're cut out for contracting?

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
            Yes, I read your thread. I wouldn't say mine was boring - just weird!
            nomadd liked this post

Comment

Either way, you lucky bastards should be using the time wisely to learn new skills or work on plan b.
              Which is exactly what I said I was doing...

You lot sure you're cut out for contracting?
              You sure you are cut out for Internet Forums?
              nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
                Which is exactly what I said I was doing...

You sure you are cut out for Internet Forums?
                Er no you didn't

Comment

Why not man up a bit and work out what you're supposed to be doing.

I've hired a few people recently. Given them the overview. Given them the documentation and asked them to read it, understand it and deliver test plans , documentation.

Then the questions. What documentation, what use cases, what process, what standards?!!!

FFS! They're contractors. If I have to spell it out I may as well hire Bobs!

God I wish people would step up.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    Why not man up a bit and work out what you're supposed to be doing.

I've hired a few people recently. Given them the overview. Given them the documentation and asked them to read it, understand it and deliver test plans , documentation.

Then the questions. What documentation, what use cases, what process, what standards?!!!

FFS! They're contractors. If I have to spell it out I may as well hire Bobs!

God I wish people would step up.
                    See your point but ....

Not all contractors are like that. If you hired cheaply they may just be code monkeys. What did you do at interview stage to ascertain their ability to step up?

Comment

Working...
                    X