• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First contract - what am I doing wrong?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First contract - what am I doing wrong?

Hi,
    I am having real trouble finding my first contract. Perhaps you guys could advise. My skills are good and current. I have been in permanent employment for 15 years, working as a Unix sys admin. Two months ago I was made redundant. Having no dependants, and being reasonably financially secure, I thought it a good time to try contracting.

The problem is I just can't find a contract! I search jobserve and other engines 4 times a day, I am willing to travel up to 1.5 hours from home near Milton Keynes. The contracts just don't seem to be there. I am searching a wide geographical area, but excluding London.

On the other hand, when I search London, there are many suitable contracts. But I would like to stay out of London, for now.

What am I doing wrong ?

Unixman.

Not going to London
    Life is just nature's way of keeping meat fresh

Comment

On the other hand, when I search London, there are many suitable contracts. But I would like to stay out of London, for now.

What am I doing wrong ?
      The answer's in the question....
      We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

This has to be a p!ss take surely. You've answered your own question already.
        "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

"I have been in permanent employment for 15 years"

That's the biggest mistake. More than 2-3 years and your blood, skin, bones, brain will become permanently damaged and drained. After 15 years of that you probably are not able to wipe your $%£% any longer. I am near the limit, almost 2 years and can't wait to jump off again.....

I would never consider anyone who was more than 2-3 years permanent only because the market was extraordinarily bad (as it was 2-3 years ago). As a contractor you are supposed to really do some work.
          I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

London's not that bad provided you come tooled up and wear body armour.
            The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

You're saying there is no contract market outside London ? (for unix).

My research indicates there isn't, but then again I don't know how efffective my searching is, since this is my first time.

I worked with Unix contractors at my last employer, near Northampton.

Can I ask you guys - how did you find your current contracts ?

Unixman.

Comment

By not doing Unix
                Life is just nature's way of keeping meat fresh

Comment

Originally posted by unixman
                  Jobserve / Contacts
                  Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Originally posted by unixman
                    I found my current contract by looking in London.

HTH
                    Cats are evil.

Comment

Working...
                    X