• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

As a contractor do you sometimes lose perspective when it comes to money?!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a contractor do you sometimes lose perspective when it comes to money?!

Having a chat with a writer friend of mine on facebook, and she was saying that if she sold a story to a magazine it would be enough to buy her a subscription to something or another, which only worked out at $50 for the year, so I gifted her a subscription.

Its amazing how what I consider a small amount of money, I have been for meals with other contractors where the bill has hit £600 and no one bats an eyelid, means so much to someone else, and I do not consider myself a well paid contractor, I know there are those who are on £200-300 a day more than me.

I come for a background of getting myself in a lot of trouble when it comes to money in the past, maybe I am starting to understand how much people do struggle, and how lucky we as contractors are. Anyway I am off for a lunch of caviar and oysters washed down with a bottle of the fizzy stuff.
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

I think that until i look at my tax bill for the year.

Comment

It is important to spread the money around. Employing a butler for instance.

Comment

I often find myself buying stuff and thinking "that's only a half day rate"
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

I can still remember being in tears because someone threw one of my son's shoes in the pond and I had no idea how I was going to get the money together to replace them. He got second hand toys for Christmas and I made most of his clothes. I don't think I'll ever be complacent about money - it's nice to be in a position where I don't have to justify every penny, but I still worry about where I'll be when someone susses that I'm just winging it...

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
            but I still worry about where I'll be when someone susses that I'm just winging it...
            Don't we all.....

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
              Having a chat with a writer friend of mine on facebook, and she was saying that if she sold a story to a magazine it would be enough to buy her a subscription to something or another, which only worked out at $50 for the year, so I gifted her a subscription.

Its amazing how what I consider a small amount of money, I have been for meals with other contractors where the bill has hit £600 and no one bats an eyelid, means so much to someone else, and I do not consider myself a well paid contractor, I know there are those who are on £200-300 a day more than me.

I come for a background of getting myself in a lot of trouble when it comes to money in the past, maybe I am starting to understand how much people do struggle, and how lucky we as contractors are. Anyway I am off for a lunch of caviar and oysters washed down with a bottle of the fizzy stuff.
              You are MTT and I claim my free sandwich

I like to think I'm careful with money and take a lot of consideration before buying something expensive, but when it comes to food or wine, I'll think nothing of dropping a few hundred or more on a good meal or a case of wine. Though I don't make a habit of it.

I think its only become clear when I hear of mates moaning about car repairs or how much a service costs, when I can happily pay for it without thinking, but then again I was always an astute saver. Mr N moans about the fact I never spend money willingly on meself.
              Though I can remember wondering how the hell I was going to pay my mortgage about 10 years ago after being made redundant and only had a couple of months savings and the ex Mr N couldn't be ar$ed getting a job. I always make sure I have a rainy day and a rainy year fund, even still I don't think I have enough money.

I'll still go for a bargain if I see one though
              Last edited by norrahe; 3 January 2013, 13:02.
              "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

My ex-wife used to say that I always complained of being skint when there was less than 10K in the current account.
                ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

I come from a background where my mother was unable to work and my father had died of a heart attack. No relatives nearby etc so we had hardly any money at all. No car, no holidays, no new clothes, heating did not work upstairs etc. At university I had no idea how to budget and almost got myself in serious trouble when I had exactly 2p in the bottom of my overdraft - no money coming from parents or anything like that. Luckily, my money from the Territorials came through and I was able to eat, it was about £40 but it was the best £40 I have ever seen!

I would not say I am that careful with money, I order take aways when I feel like it, I have an expensive hobby (well not compared to some but it is quite expensive). However, some people who earn far less than me are just as wreckless which is bound to bite them in the backside eventually.
                  "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

£600 wouldn't bother me either... if there were 30 of us.

The way I look at money is every pound wasted could have come off my mortgage and ultimately freedom but as we don't get out much I don't mind splashing out on good food and wine.
                    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
                    X