• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What is the most you've spent on software?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the most you've spent on software?

I'm looking at purchasing a piece of software + extended support + 1 inclusive upgrade to the next version when released, + some additional add-ons which will enhance my work. The total is around £2,150 (no VAT as it is a purchase direct from the US company).

This seems like a lot to spend on software. I'm not worried from a point of view of explaining it - this is very clearly necessary and required for my business to operate (it's an e-learning authoring tool and I'm an e-learning developer). But I was just curious to see the largest amount that other people have spent on software? Anyone purchased the Adobe Master Collection for example (a snip at just £2,500 + VAT I think)?

Cheers.

I pay ~£2'000 a year for a SAP Development licence.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

How much revenue will it generate would be my first question.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        How much revenue will it generate would be my first question.
        Mine too - it's a good question. I'm developing a course library for solicitors using it which will sell for just under £10,000 to each company that buys it, undercutting the competition by a few hundred quid.

Then there's other ad hoc development I can do with it, which will massively speed up the process compared to Adobe Captivate which I was using previously.

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        I pay ~£2'000 a year for a SAP Development licence.
        OK cool, that's a good example, thanks. Have you ever been asked to justify it at all? Like I say, I'm totally happy with the expenditure, just looking for other people's experiences when spending a lot on software services.
        Last edited by GillsMan; 4 January 2013, 14:35.

Comment

Justify it to whom? If the purchase is wholly for business use (which is sounds like it is) the the only justification would be to your company's shareholders.

Comment

£2k seems like peanuts for software. There is a license I want which comes to about $35k, but it's for my plan B and I'm holding off until plan B is actually bringing in proper money (a single medium size private client project would be ~$100k)
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

£2K is just the license that allows me to develop on the system. The system requires licenses in the tens of thousands - but I don't pay that myself.

Unless you're using the software for personal purposes, I can't see there ever being a problem.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by GillsMan View Post
                Mine too - it's a good question. I'm developing a course library for solicitors using it which will sell for just under £10,000 to each company that buys it, undercutting the competition by a few hundred quid.
                Do you think saving a company 5-10% is going to be enough to get them to buy your unknown, untested library compared to the known already used in the real world competition?

as for software I buy what I need as I need it. If a £3000 will make me £4000 extra in a year I would buy it.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  Do you think saving a company 5-10% is going to be enough to get them to buy your unknown, untested library compared to the known already used in the real world competition?

as for software I buy what I need as I need it. If a £3000 will make me £4000 extra in a year I would buy it.
                  Where did he say the competition were known and trusted?

Comment

Originally posted by LatteLiberal View Post
                    Where did he say the competition were known and trusted?
                    Where does he say anything about his competition apart from price? The problem is that price is not enough to be successful.
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                    X