• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What would you not do even though its lawful?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would you not do even though its lawful?

David Cameron: Tax avoiding foreign firms like Starbucks and Amazon lack 'moral scruples' - Telegraph

"there are lots of things that are within the law [that] we don’t do because actually we have some moral scruples about them."

I thought there were laws about just about everything - there are very few things you can do these days which are not illegal.

Become a politician.

Comment

Oh I don't know fiddle my expenses?

BBC NEWS | Politics | Cameron pays back more expenses

Allow my peers to fiddle their expenses?

MPs' expenses: David Cameron orders Tories to pay back claims - Telegraph

Grant access to politicians for contributions to my political parties?

2012 United Kingdom cash for access scandal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

oh sorry you said they had to be legal!

If it is immoral / bad for society for large companies to offshore tax then parliament needs to make it illegal!

I would probably not commit adultery, Lie significantly or take up professional signing (my singing should be illegal!)
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I would do the same if i was the CEO of a large multi-national. I am sure the majority here would if it came down to it.

Comment

That's nothing immoral about avoiding tax.

There is something immoral about charging onerous taxes.

Comment

If I was a CEO of a top company I would do exactly what they have done.

If you do not then you are an idiot because all of your competitors are and they are gaining an advantage over you.
            "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

If tax money was spent in a half-sensible manner then I still think most people would avoid paying it. But it isn't, so I don't think any case can be made for paying tax that you are not forced to pay.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                David Cameron: Tax avoiding foreign firms like Starbucks and Amazon lack 'moral scruples' - Telegraph

"there are lots of things that are within the law [that] we don’t do because actually we have some moral scruples about them."

I thought there were laws about just about everything - there are very few things you can do these days which are not illegal.
                What Starbucks and Amazon do are (allegedly) outside the law. Try and do the same thing with you Ltd Co. eg: Pay your offshore company 90% of your income for your 'Brillo Brand' . You would not get away with it. Starbucks and Amazon get away with it because they have loads of money to pay lawyers. lobby MPs and to hand out 'incentives'
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  Oh I don't know fiddle my expenses?

BBC NEWS | Politics | Cameron pays back more expenses

Allow my peers to fiddle their expenses?

MPs' expenses: David Cameron orders Tories to pay back claims - Telegraph

Grant access to politicians for contributions to my political parties?

2012 United Kingdom cash for access scandal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

oh sorry you said they had to be legal!

If it is immoral / bad for society for large companies to offshore tax then parliament needs to make it illegal!

I would probably not commit adultery, Lie significantly or take up professional signing (my singing should be illegal!)
                  he shouldn't have been caught speaking with Rebekah Brooks at a social the other day either...

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                    What Starbucks and Amazon do are (allegedly) outside the law. Try and do the same thing with you Ltd Co. eg: Pay your offshore company 90% of your income for your 'Brillo Brand' . You would not get away with it. Starbucks and Amazon get away with it because they have loads of money to pay lawyers. lobby MPs and to hand out 'incentives'
                    Not really. There's no denying that "Starbucks" is an international brand, and one that didn't start in the UK. Why would the international Starbucks organisation setup in the UK without wanting payment in return?

Amazon UK on the other hand, is only a distribution business working for Amazon Luxembourg. Nothing illegal about that.

Starbucks have volunteered to pay more tax than they're required to do by law. That makes them more moral* than 99.9% of companies, and 99.9% of the population.

*Assuming for a minute that paying tax is morally right.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X