• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advise please

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advise please

Hello all.

May I first say thank you for any potential replies.

I wonder if anyone can offer advise.

I have just finished an IVA , I have the completion certificate and am no longer on the insolvency register.

This was an early settlement after 3 years, from my redundancy money so the IVA/defaults will still be all over my credit file.

I am looking to contract as a PM in London.

My questions are...

Which umbrella companies do you recommend?

What is the average retain these days from an umbrella company? 6 years ago I was retaining 80 percent, that was with 1500 miles a months.

I expect to earn (fingers crossed) 4-500 a day, so would a limited company be better?

If so would I be able to get a business account? My current bank account is with the coop who I know are IVA friendly on a personnel level at least.

Are employers more likely to credit check me if I am using a Ltd company opposed to a umbrella company?

What is the average retain on a Ltd company?

Anything else you can think of?

Kind Regards and thanks.

Depending on business you are working in, there is a very definite chance that you will be credit checked.

It happens to me everytime I move contract. I'm currently in banking.
    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

If you go Ltd you'll need a business bank account. You might find getting one is tricky, to say the least.

Comment

Do PM's need to know the difference between advise & advice when applying for roles?
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Are you looking to go into banking? If so, they always credit check as far as I can tell.
          "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by newtothegame View Post

Which umbrella companies do you recommend?
            Read the guides to the right, read the Welcome/FAQ section particularly the thread on searching. Check the Umbrella section and see who is actually giving good advice on there.

What is the average retain these days from an umbrella company? 6 years ago I was retaining 80 percent, that was with 1500 miles a months.
            Depends on your circumstances surely? Find one and then ring them.

I expect to earn (fingers crossed) 4-500 a day, so would a limited company be better?
            Read the guides to the right. Read the sticky at the top of the umbrella section about the differences between the two.

If so would I be able to get a business account? My current bank account is with the coop who I know are IVA friendly on a personnel level at least.
            Not sure how we would know this. Each lender has different criteria. Ring them and ask

Are employers more likely to credit check me if I am using a Ltd company opposed to a umbrella company?
            Doesn't matter, they will check everyone they need to regardless of method of engagement depending on the role.

What is the average retain on a Ltd company?
            There isn't an average. It depends on your circumstances.

Anything else you can think of?
            Nope, I think you have asked every single lazy question that required a modicum of effort from yourself to find the answer except..

What is IR35
            Can you recommend an accountant
            What is FRS
            Can I expense my work shirts to the company
            and a whole host of other simple questions that are covered in the newbie guides to the right.

Once you start your first contract please post all the information you are given and we will create a project plan and all other related documentation for you... This time make sure you post it in the right part of the forum though....
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

NLUK I love you and want to have your babies.

Please ban me !!!

Kind Regards

Comment

Please ban me !!!

Kind Regards
                I like this gurl.
                Last edited by bless 'em all; 4 January 2013, 18:38. Reason: Sex change

Comment

Please ban me !!!

Kind Regards
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Please ban me !!!

Kind Regards
                    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to northernladuk again.
                    Can someone do the needful please?
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                    X