• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question for the Experts: Which 64bit laptop to by to run SUSE SLES 11 SP1/2

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for the Experts: Which 64bit laptop to by to run SUSE SLES 11 SP1/2

Evening All,

apologies for the absence, I have a life.

In case you're wondering Plan B is aquiring the pre-requisite hardware to deliver the third loaf, so all going well there.

.Net continues to offer value.

Ok, down to business,

I need to do some home studying on a certain shiny new piece of .Net software.

To run this new shiny .Net software I need a computer running SUSE SLES 11 SP1/2

Experts, I'd like my Sandbox machine for this new shiny .Net software to be a laptop, so question is,

which laptop (64bit) will run Suse SLES 11 SP 1/2 ?

To wrap up, looking forward to your advice, and happy new year.

Milan.

Got to ask why SUSE?? Wouldn't touch SUSE with a bargepole nowadays, Novell really cocked it up
    Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by portseven View Post
      Got to ask why SUSE?? Wouldn't touch SUSE with a bargepole nowadays, Novell really cocked it up
      +1
      Me, me, me...

Comment

For this particular shiny .Net component suse sles 11 sp 1/2 is the only supported os

Milan.

Comment

This is all to detailed for me, do you mind posting in Technical and then coming back with a BBQ thread?
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Go to PCWorld, only they sell 64bit laptops. Tell them that is HAS to be a 64bit laptop
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

I run Ubuntu inside VirtualBox - works brill really. And there are openSUSE 64bit images for virtual box at openSUSE | VirtualBoxImages.com.
              McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
              Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Nice to see you Benes, hope life treating you well

WLES - stick it on a VM to start with and see how you get on, why bother spunking £500 + on something that may not work properly?

I don't know much about SUSE apart from installing it once about 8 years ago. It worked OK but wasn't that exciting so went back to Fedora I think I was using at the time. Linux distros tend to lag the curve in terms of hardware compatability so if you want a laptop that is likely to work with a very recent Linux distro then I would try and get one that was a year or so old. Not sure how true this advice is these days, or with SUSE, maybe someone here will put me straight!

In terms of it being a 64bit laptop, just check the ebay listings and make sure it is a 64bit processor...

So you getting into MONO then? Knew that Novell were the reason for SUSE going down the pan but didn't realise they were behind MONO though, makes sense now that you need SUSE specifically for this though, they are trying to bundle it all together I guess.

Have a look here:
                C Sharp (programming language) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What do you make of what Richard Stallman said?

Comment

Originally posted by portseven View Post
                  Probably due to Mono being in default install.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                    Evening All,

apologies for the absence, I have a life.

In case you're wondering Plan B is aquiring the pre-requisite hardware to deliver the third loaf, so all going well there.

.Net continues to offer value.

Ok, down to business,

I need to do some home studying on a certain shiny new piece of .Net software.

To run this new shiny .Net software I need a computer running SUSE SLES 11 SP1/2

Experts, I'd like my Sandbox machine for this new shiny .Net software to be a laptop, so question is,

which laptop (64bit) will run Suse SLES 11 SP 1/2 ?

To wrap up, looking forward to your advice, and happy new year.

Milan.
                    Cheapest Hp Core i5 Laptop Pavilion G6-2197sa 3rd Gen Intel 3210M 8GB RAM 500GB | eBay

Run Suse in VMWare, a friend of mine says there is a 64 bit version on ***********.se
                    Last edited by Paddy; 5 January 2013, 00:29.
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                    X