• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The most disgusting and messy fruit ever - Pomegranites

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The most disgusting and messy fruit ever - Pomegranites

I bought a couple of pomegranites to try them out, and on cutting them open it seemed at first they were riddled with mould, but on closer examination it turned out the weird mouldy looking "skins" separating the compartments were a natural feature of the things.

After scooping out some of the red pips, which looked like the only edible part, I tried eating them. They were almost tasteless, and after a couple of bites left a vile-tasting woody residue in the mouth, literally like trying to chew sawdust.

And then I noticed I'd managed to get purple pomegranite juice all down my shirt

Think I'll stick to pomegranite juice in future, if I touch it at all, as the fruit itself is an inedible mess!
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

......and the skin between the pips is terribly sour as well so get a bit of that in and you wasted the whole lot. My parents used to give pomegranites as kids and we just sat there watching tv using a pin to get them out. Lasted for hours kept us amused. As a fruit to eat now, as you say, waste of time.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I have a feeling that the pomegranates sold in this country were picked still very unripe and then left to ripen on the way here, hence the dryness.
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

All the pomegranates I've eaten have been sweet and juicy.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          I bought a couple of pomegranites to try them out, and on cutting them open it seemed at first they were riddled with mould, but on closer examination it turned out the weird mouldy looking "skins" separating the compartments were a natural feature of the things.

After scooping out some of the red pips, which looked like the only edible part, I tried eating them. They were almost tasteless, and after a couple of bites left a vile-tasting woody residue in the mouth, literally like trying to chew sawdust.

And then I noticed I'd managed to get purple pomegranite juice all down my shirt

Think I'll stick to pomegranite juice in future, if I touch it at all, as the fruit itself is an inedible mess!
          You poor lamb.

Comment

Originally posted by socialworker View Post
            You poor lamb.
            Yes, I was totally traumatised. Maybe I should try a compensation claim!

Comment

http://youtu.be/Fco-95_Aa0M
              Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

How to spell pomegranite

Comment

Quite like them, did this as a starter for dinner one year:

Ingredients
                  For the chilli-honey dressing:
                  5 tsp white wine vinegar
                  4 tsp clear honey
                  salt and freshly ground black pepper
                  5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
                  1 small red chilli, cut in half, seeds removed, finely chopped

For the salad:
                  4 small oranges, peeled, pith removed, segmented
                  2 ruby grapefruit, peeled, pith removed, segmented
                  1 plain grapefruit, peeled, pith removed, segmented
                  1 small red onion, peeled, very finely sliced
                  bunch fresh mint leaves, torn
                  1 pomegranate, seeds only, to serve

Preparation method:
                  - For the chilli-honey dressing, mix together the vinegar and honey in a shallow serving bowl until well combined. Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Gradually whisk in the oil, using a fork, then add the chilli and whisk again. Add more vinegar or oil, to taste.
                  - For the salad, arrange the segmented fruit in a broad shallow bowl.
                  - Sprinkle over the onion and mint, then pour over the chilli-honey dressing and mix well until it coats the salad.
                  - Just before serving, sprinkle the pomegranate seeds over the salad.
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                    DOH!

Comment

Working...
                    X