• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Roofing - doing it yourself

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roofing - doing it yourself

I need a new roof. Having spent Christmas with buckets posiitioned at strategic positions throughout the house has confirmed this for me.

I've had 2 quotes: both around the 7k mark. This has led me to wonder how hard can it be to do it yourself?

All the wood is sound, just need new felt, batons and slates. I can get scaffolding for £500.

Has anyone attempted this kind of project before?

All you need is this for the roof and some of this while doing it and you could end up on here
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Hi,
      I was thinking along the same lines as you when I found out it was about to cost me 20k to do my barn roof last year. What I would say is this. Pick a good roofing firm and spend the money and go to work while its being done for you.

I spent a few days up on the roof helping out while I had spare time and its a lot harder that it appears to be when you stand on the ground and spending six months out of contract with a band back is a very poor risk. if the weather is as wet and cold as it was last summer you are not going to enjoy the experience even if it goes well.

If you want to give it a go the process is
      get the scaffs up
      carefully remove the tiles and clean them. (very messy and the roof caps are cemented on so need quite a lot of effort to remove them...)
      take the old crappy underlay off and replace with Tyvek supra or equivalent
      re baton the roof
      hang the tiles back up

All the while trying not to fall off the roof or between the gaps...

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm Buggeridge View Post
        I think Rod Hull did. Maybe he should not have asked Emu to help?

Comment

I need a new roof. Having spent Christmas with buckets posiitioned at strategic positions throughout the house has confirmed this for me.

I've had 2 quotes: both around the 7k mark. This has led me to wonder how hard can it be to do it yourself?

All the wood is sound, just need new felt, batons and slates. I can get scaffolding for £500.

Where are you - If in London I know someone very good who did ours. You can email him at [email protected]

Comment

Get a professional in and keep a very very close eye on him. Roofs are a bastard to fix as water makes it's own way regardless of what you try do. It can even go up small gaps so don't relay on the fact water runs down. I had years of problems with a roof leak about a foot from the gutter and had loads of people round putting bits of lead here and there trying to stop it. Occasional they said they put a bit of lead in and did nothing so be diligent. In the end the water was coming in next doors skylight though badly placed lead, running along the joist between the two houses (very old house with shared roofspaces) and then dripping on to my roof. Over 7ft away from the leak!

I spent well over the original quote to strip it all back properly in an attempt for a quick fix and then had to pay the strip back quote as well. As soon as they took the tiles off a few feet up and looked under the felt it was blatantly obvious. Do it right first time IMO.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Move.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                Move.
                WHS
                Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

DIY Roofing

Seriously don’t...

There are so many reasons not to do this yourself, but my top 3 would be
                  1. Risk to health
                  2. Cost to get your work put right (honestly small repairs are fine but a whole roof: you can’t do this from books & YouTube)
                  3. You will probably invalidate your buildings & contents insurance.

My professional advice as a Chartered Surveyor* would be to Just bite the bullet pay for a professional & live happily ever after

*yes I had to sneak that in there, still smug about it
                  Growing old is mandatory
                  Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post

Seriously don’t...

There are so many reasons not to do this yourself, but my top 3 would be
                    1. Risk to health
                    2. Cost to get your work put right (honestly small repairs are fine but a whole roof: you can’t do this from books & YouTube)
                    3. You will probably invalidate your buildings & contents insurance.

My professional advice as a Chartered Surveyor* would be to Just bite the bullet pay for a professional & live happily ever after

*yes I had to sneak that in there, still smug about it
                    WSS
                    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
                    X