• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractor, sub contracting - Tax question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contractor, sub contracting - Tax question

Hi All

I am currently a contractor for a company which uses my services for design and consultancy related work for which I get paid around 1,300 per month (I am home based). I subcontract most of this design work to a designer in Russia and pay him around £400 per month.

I have the following two questions which I'd be grateful if I could get some advice on:

1. Do I pay tax on the £1300 or only on £900?

2. I also get other work done by another developer in Russia which is not related to my contract which comes to around £200pm extra for building a web based software which I hope to help me in my business. Will this be classed as an expense for me, so that my taxable income is £700 rather than £900?

Cheers

Are you working as a sole trader, through your own limited company or through an umbrella company?
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

1 £900

2 Almost certainly, taking taxable amount down to £700. There are a few esoteric situations when you may not get relief, but unlikely to come into play in reality.

Make sure you have some sort of contract for services with the Russian developer, to prevent HMRC trying to categorise them as a employee and pin the PAYE and NI on you.

NB reading first reply to thread, I'm assuming you are not working via umbrella?

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica@WhiteFieldTax View Post
        1 £900
        2 Almost certainly, taking taxable amount down to £700. There are a few esoteric situations when you may not get relief, but unlikely to come into play in reality.
        I'll second that.
        2012 CUK Reader Awards - '...Capital City Accountancy, all of whom were outside the top three yet still won compliments from CUK readers for their services' - well, its not an award, but we'll take it! - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
        2011 CUK Reader Awards - Top 3 - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
        || Check us out at: http://www.linkedin.com/company/capi...ccountancy-ltd

Comment

Working...
        X