• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Possible first time contractor qs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible first time contractor qs

Hello

I'm currently a permie working for a large government agency. After several months of promises of imminent progression opportunities, none has materialised. I have got rather annoyed with this and I am ready to leave for pastures new.

So I'm trying to work out whether contracting is for me, or if I should just be going for another permie job.

My skills:
    3 years' exp. development in mainly SQL and .NET.
    Last 6 months I have led a small team (2 developers) in a BI project using MicroStrategy and Reporting Services

My questions:

1) Roughly, what % of the daily rate can I expect to come away with (net) after tax and NI?

2) Is it reasonable to expect to start contracting, and progress with more-or-less continuous employment, working <1.5 hours from Leeds?
    I have a young family so would not be prepared to work away during the week (I could maybe do a couple of months if pushed to it)

cheers

Always the same questions.....
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

If you need to ask, you're not ready
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Retrain in SAP. I here that that's where the futurte lies.

Comment

1/10

Been through all the FAQs etc, on this site and others.

Always helps to discuss with those with experience of the current market, though.

Comment

Originally posted by neilh
            1/10

Been through all the FAQs etc, on this site and others.

Always helps to discuss with those with experience of the current market, though.
            Good lad.
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Try sending CV for some of these and speak agent (spit) re. rate. Also contact the accountants reccomend here re return and options.
              Have youread the stcky in Accounting>
              Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

-2) Is it reasonable to expect to start contracting, and progress with more-or-less continuous employment, working <1.5 hours from Leeds? -

As a contractor you have to work at least 1.5 hours.
                The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

MrsG - Thanks for the heads up on the accounting thread - very useful.
                  Next step will be making tentative enquiries with agencies.

So, anyone have any advice on state of market in north (leeds/manchester/sheff) region, And if it's reasonable to expect to get continuous employment here?

Comment

badom tshhh

I mean work <1.5 hours commute from leeds

Comment

Working...
                    X