• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sky HD

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sky HD

I saw a demo of Sky Sports HD feed running plasmas in John Lewis - I must say this is the 1st HD I've seen and it was very dissapointing - it actually looked liked there was a mix of SD & HD cameras being used.

Also the lag between Sky HD & SD channels was about 5-8 seconds...

Does anyone have it at home ?
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Originally posted by Troll
    I saw a demo of Sky Sports HD feed running plasmas in John Lewis - I must say this is the 1st HD I've seen and it was very dissapointing - it actually looked liked there was a mix of SD & HD cameras being used.

Also the lag between Sky HD & SD channels was about 5-8 seconds...

Does anyone have it at home ?
    from SKy spokesman last week, cant find link but

The only HD content SKY have is Movies.
    Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

the beeb

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/5099402.stm

Read this last week:

"Not a single programme on Sky One HD in the schedules for the evening of 20 June had been shot in HD.

The same went for the evening schedules for Sky Sports HD for 19 June. Sky admitted that their only HD channels with guaranteed 100% HD content were the film channels."

Short, but interesting take on the matter...

Comment

I've actually stopped watching most of Sky content because the quality is krap, I don't know if they are trying to get people to sign up to HD by degrading the picture quality on SD; but contrasting the output from the integrated freeview tuner versus Sky for the footie final was a convincing win for Freeview

Comment

There are two rival camera formats for HD at the moment and the UK TV companies really have not decided which is the technology to invest in. Also, many cameramen are freelance, have to buy their own cameras and so are VERY reluctant to fork out tens of thousands when people are being fired left, rigth and centre in TV-land and loads of freelancers are not getting any work at all.

I know loads of TV cameramen, sound recordists, presenters who have not worked in over a year. UK TV is dying.

Comment

It's not worth investing in HDTV until it's all settled down and the technology has matured somewhat. Interesting point about Sky's quality, I'd noticed that too and just wondered if it were me being a bit wonky after too many V&C's. They compress the feed so much that you can see pixellation in parts, it's disgraceful!

Comment

The demand for stock weather video shot in HD is really high at the moment – all I use is the Sony HDC-FX1 but using this format I have sold in to all the main news and documentary channels in the UK during 2006.

There is little tornado footage on HD (2006 was a slow tornado year so this has kept the pool low) so my best seller right now is Hurricane Rita and Wilma from 2005 – upshot is that the demand is there for HD if you can get the shots!!
              www.stormtrack.co.uk - My Stormchasing website.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                Must be nice to be famous.

I was a star once... until I encountered the War Criminal Kirk...
                In your other role as a Mod of the Dark Side, can you see the IP addressses of Posters ?

Comment

Working...
                X