• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Just got home insurance renewal.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got home insurance renewal.

£600 if paid monthly.

lowest quote by visiting 1 comparison site is £186.

If I use the company this £600 quote is from its £220. Now I know people are lazy but blooming heck thats a rip off.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Just accepting an insurance quote is a mugs game for sure but the devil is in the details as the t&c's change all the bloody time. Newer quotes are starting to exclude stuff just like Ryan Air. We found that after using a comparison site we lost 'away from home' insurance. We could have had it added as an extra along with a whole host of things at extra cost. Try as we might to compare what was covered and what wasn't we got stung. Even after finding this out we dug through cover on both and only spotted it because we were looking for it.

Insurance is a rip off at the best of times but there is no such thing as like for like insurance quotes. Some include expensive items, some have to have them named, away from home, phones yadda yadda. It's a bloody minefield and always stacked against the consumer.

I would be very wary about taking your exsiting £600 as a direct comparison for the £252 with a pinch of salt and get a mail from the company to comfirm it.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Had a similar difference with pet insurance renewal lately. Renewal quote was £44 per month for an older large dog (an increase of over 20 quid compared to last year). Price comparison site got me basically the same cover (well the bits that we actually wanted) for £16 per month.

I can't remember the last insurer I stuck with for more than a year.

Comment

Which bits of the dog were the ones you wanted insured?
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Well I checked the details on another site (unnamed site) and the final price was £154 with a few cuddly meerkat. Terms and conditions are better than my current deals so
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            Well I checked the details on another site (unnamed site) and the final price was £154 with a few cuddly meerkat. Terms and conditions are better than my current deals so
            Forget the T&C's man... Get the meerkat!!! It makes you instantly attractive to the opposite sex while you have one... which won't be long. Mine got 'adopted' less than a day after it arrived

Comment

Vassily was my first. Now waiting for Sergei to come in the post.

Comment

Originally posted by formant View Post
                Vassily was my first. Now waiting for Sergei to come in the post.
                I got Sergei first! Boom headshot!! Best one IMO.

Comment

I found that they can be a rip off, provided the renewal is reasonable then I renew, otherwise I do a bit of work and seek out some other quotes, well worth doing every few years or so.
                  "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Working...
                  X