• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Using Apple Cinema Display as CCTV

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using Apple Cinema Display as CCTV

Trying to search around for this with not much luck, please feel free to lmgtfy me - but I'm trying to find out how to discreetly capture video using the built-in camera on an Apple 27" LED Thunderbolt display. There's been some thieving in the office, and there's reason to believe it's someone who knows the area very well so either someone on the team or a cleaner.

I can leave a laptop connected to the display (using a desk lock for the laptop and display), I'd like to be able to override the camera to disable the green LED while recording, and keep the program running behind a locked screensaver.

Any ideas?

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    Trying to search around for this with not much luck, please feel free to lmgtfy me - but I'm trying to find out how to discreetly capture video using the built-in camera on an Apple 27" LED Thunderbolt display. There's been some thieving in the office, and there's reason to believe it's someone who knows the area very well so either someone on the team or a cleaner.

I can leave a laptop connected to the display (using a desk lock for the laptop and display), I'd like to be able to override the camera to disable the green LED while recording, and keep the program running behind a locked screensaver.

Any ideas?
    Assuming its the cleaner they won't think that far ahead. Just add a thick piece of masking tape in front of the led.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Have a go with this, https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/isen...79447856?mt=12

I also tried this once, but it was more effort than I was willing to expend to get it running

Bensoftware ? SecuritySpy ? Features

The light is close to impossible to turn off when the cam is active (in my experience / limited googling).
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

To me it sounds like you're throwing a whole lot of engineering at a quickly solvable problem! :-)

The are discreet motion sensitive webcams you can buy for around £50, that could easily do the the trick.
        they come with the ability to connect to itunes and the like. Often disguised as teddy bears, Staplers etc.
        threenine.co.uk
        Cultivate, Develop & Sustain Innovation

Comment

Working...
        X