• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Walter Mitty - Closest match

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Walter Mitty - Closest match

Walter Mitty is a fictional character in James Thurber's short story "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty", first published in The New Yorker on March 18, 1939, and in book form in My World and Welcome to It in 1942. Thurber loosely based the character on his friend, Walter Mithoff. It was made into a film in 1947, with a remake starring Ben Stiller scheduled for release in 2013.

Mitty is a meek, mild man with a vivid fantasy life: in a few dozen paragraphs he imagines himself a wartime pilot, an emergency-room surgeon, and a devil-may-care killer. The character's name has come into more general use to refer to an ineffectual dreamer, appearing in several dictionaries. The American Heritage Dictionary defines a Walter Mitty as "an ordinary, often ineffectual person who indulges in fantastic daydreams of personal triumphs". The most famous of Thurber's inept male protagonists, the character is considered "the archetype for dreamy, hapless, Thurber Man".
    So, who here best fits this description?

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    So, who here best fits this description?
    There can only be one winner here, but he hasn't posted for a couple of years.

Comment

You mean apart from the poster who got nicked for these types of activities?

Chasing the Aurora/Menelaus

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
        You mean apart from the poster who got nicked for these types of activities?

Chasing the Aurora/Menelaus
        Bingo!

Comment

Here's the full story - it only takes a few minutes to read.

Originally posted by James Thurber
          "I was thinking," said Walter Mitty. "Does it ever occur to you that I am sometimes thinking?" She looked at him. "I'm going to take your temperature when I get you home," she said.

Comment

Sasguru. Not me. Not me at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
              Bingo!
              Just read some of the posts. Wow.

Nice jugs though...

Did he have a make believe job in San Diego?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
                Just read some of the posts. Wow.

Nice jugs though...

Did he have a make believe job in San Diego?
                Are you sure you're not talking about MF.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Where's Threaded ?, failing that MF/Klinger
                  Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    Are you sure you're not talking about MF.
                    Both I and the wife are top notch contractors earning a mint. When I retired from playing semi professional cricket I bought a rundown house in Somerset with 20 acres. I bought another in France and live in a camper van and was toying with opening a child play centre/creche/cafe/canoe business (delete as required).I am familiar with Bridgewater and quarries in the North of England and think I'm an Internet warrior. Did I also mention I had a house in France. I'm 'ard me, but not 'ard enough for the army.

Who am I?
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X