• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Putting personal projects/skills on your CV

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Putting personal projects/skills on your CV

I usually have one or two personal plan B type affairs going on while contracting. I tend to use the latest sexy stuff to build these and really get to grips with the technologies. Does anyone else mention these on their CV?

Originally posted by LatteLiberal View Post
    I usually have one or two personal plan B type affairs going on while contracting. I tend to use the latest sexy stuff to build these and really get to grips with the technologies. Does anyone else mention these on their CV?
    Does it make money with decent clients if so yes. Otherwise only if it relates to the job I'm going for to demonstrate knowledge.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by LatteLiberal View Post
      Not yet, but I plan to (when my plan B's are worth mentioning!)

I think contractors sometimes forget that they are running a business, and even things they are working on that aren't related to their current main client are still work experience.
      Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Yes, I definitely included my plan B project on my CV and in my LinkedIn profile.

Some agents skip over them when talking about experience but I've always found that clients are happy to talk about the technical aspects. The only negative is that they may not think that your focused on their project, I usually just reassure them that paid work funds my own projects and paid work is always my focus.

Comment

I did this once, a short two-weeker. I wish I hadn't.

It confused the idiots on the BCS Board who interviewed me for full membership.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
            I did this once, a short two-weeker. I wish I hadn't.

It confused the idiots on the BCS Board who interviewed me for full membership.
            To be honest it doesn't take much to confuse the BCS Board. Why on earth did you apply for membership?
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
            X