• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

holidays and break

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

holidays and break

hi

my contract is for 6 month started oct2012 and i work via my own ltd company, Im thinking of taking 2 weeks off for holiday,i would like the client to extend my contracts end date to reflect this,... is it common for will the client extend contract terminate date in such circumstances?
    Other question is about Christmas holiday and in between Christmas / new year, clients office was closed those days, should i fill in time sheet for those days ?

Originally posted by contractor0118 View Post
    hi

my contract is for 6 month started oct2012 and i work via my own ltd company, Im thinking of taking 2 weeks off for holiday,i would like the client to extend my contracts end date to reflect this,... is it common for will the client extend contract terminate date in such circumstances?
    Other question is about Christmas holiday and in between Christmas / new year, clients office was closed those days, should i fill in time sheet for those days ?
    Hello, bob.

End date will not change.

What do you do if you don't work normally?

Comment

Why would a client extend an end date to cover your holiday??? As a contractor you will be paid when you work and not when you are on your hols
      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Im thinking of taking 2 weeks off for holiday,i would like the client to extend my contracts end date to reflect this,...
        No. It's generally accepted that you won't work every day of the contract period and this is factored into it. I wouldn't even ask if it's just two weeks, but if it was 4 or 6 weeks then it may be worth enquiring.

An exception is when you have a contract ending (say) 1st August and they offer an extension, you might say you can take up the extension starting 21st August so you can take a few weeks off with a contract to return to at the end of it.

No, I wouldn't. Those days aren't chargeable and you don't need to do a timesheet showing a total of zero hours. You may want to give the agent a courtesy email to say there will be no timesheet submitted for that time as the client was shutdown.

Keep a record of communications about the client not offering any work over Christmas - it may be useful in proving lack of Mutuality of Obligation if you ever come to an IR35 investigation...
        Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
          Hello, bob.

End date will not change.
          Absolutely love this lol
          In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
            No, I wouldn't. Those days aren't chargeable and you don't need to do a timesheet showing a total of zero hours. You may want to give the agent a courtesy email to say there will be no timesheet submitted for that time as the client was shutdown.
            Hm, I'd say this also depends on what your agency wants. Mine specifically asked me to do a zero-hours timesheet indicating holidays taken. That said, my client's office was only shut on the statutory holidays, so in between I could have worked if I'd wanted to.

But yeah, as others have said, whether you take a holiday is up to you - it's not at all the client's responsibility to compensate you for this with an extension.

Comment

I have found when negotiating extensions, if I mention how many holidays I plan to take, the end date will usually move out to accommodate based on how much the client has to spend on the extension.

Comment

hi

Has NLUK seen this!? It confirms what he says about these new 'contractors diluting the meaning of the word.

Really, if you are asking such questions, you seriously need to address what contracting is about because continuing this way will impact us all.

No, the client wont extend your contract end date just because you want a holiday. Why on earth do you think they would do that?

Timesheets for christmas \ NY, what does you contract or agency state? Some expect self certified zero hours timesheets submitting (because their systems are crep) while some arent arsed.
                I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                  Has NLUK seen this!? It confirms what he says about these new 'contractors diluting the meaning of the word.
                  I understand that he has, turned a funny shade of red and now NorthernLadyUK is mopping his fevered brow

Comment

Originally posted by BA to the Stars View Post
                    I understand that he has, turned a funny shade of red and now NorthernLadyUK is mopping his fevered brow
                    Am still trying to get over the guy in the other post that doesn't understand that his personal details maybe processed offshore at the moment. Full service will be resumed shortly.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X