• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Help needed for obtaining company UTR

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help needed for obtaining company UTR

Hello, first post here, hope it's in the right area.

How long did it take from starting up your business to receive the UTR from HMRC ?

We are having great difficulty obtaining our UTR for our Limited Company which was set up 9 months ago.

End of year is fast approaching and we haven't been able to set up CT enrollment yet because HMRC have not sent us the UTR despite months of requesting it (that's ourselves and our accountant trying).

HMRC won't give out the UTR or any other details over the phone without a UTR.

Trying to work out if this is normal or if something has gone seriously wrong.
    Any ideas or advice appreciated.

It took me a while (a few months) before I got mine, but my accountants (SJD) kept chasing them and eventually I got it.

Comment

Have they explained what the delay is and why you are struggling. They might not give it over the phone but they should be able to explain what the delay is.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Did you not receive a CT41g (letter/form) from HMRC? These are sent out shortly after the company is formed and sent to the registered office. The companies UTR is shown on there.

Comment

Originally posted by Nixon Williams View Post
          Did you not receive a CT41g (letter/form) from HMRC? These are sent out shortly after the company is formed and sent to the registered office. The companies UTR is shown on there.
          Thanks for the replies.

No, didn't receive CT41g. It may have gone to my original registered office but we had to change accountants and address. So maybe they never forwarded this onto us or maybe they didn't receive this form or the UTR.

It's a mess.

Comment

If the company is only 9 months old, you have plenty of time to obtain the UTR and submit the Corporation Tax Return, so no nede to panic just yet.

I would get onto HMRC and speak to the right person, you should then get the UTR or at least issued to the new company address.

I assume HMRC have your latest address? Might be worth checking.

Comment

If you are that worried, invoke the complaints procedure. Then at least you have it all in writing where they have failed.

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
                If you are that worried, invoke the complaints procedure. Then at least you have it all in writing where they have failed.
                I think they already have it in writing they have failed.... all over todays papers..

WOODEN SPOON AWARDS: You branded HMRC's service hopeless and tax boss Lin Homer wouldn't even collect our award | This is Money
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Ours take 2-4 weeks to appear usually. The problem with this is, you have to keep trying and keep trying. Call them once a week, every week, until something turns up.

As NW says, also check that they hold the correct address for you. The Corp Tax system within the HMRC holds more than one address (registered office, and correspondence address) - when you speak to them, ensure their records are up to date (and each time you call them, check each time). Also, when you call them, get them to tell you the HMRC office that deals with your Corp Tax records, then send a letter to them quoting your company name, company number, and your company registered office and correspondence addresses. Send them a letter each week, until something turns up.
                  2012 CUK Reader Awards - '...Capital City Accountancy, all of whom were outside the top three yet still won compliments from CUK readers for their services' - well, its not an award, but we'll take it! - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
                  2011 CUK Reader Awards - Top 3 - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
                  || Check us out at: http://www.linkedin.com/company/capi...ccountancy-ltd

Comment

UTR finally arrived after a phone call to the local CT tax office.

Like you said just keep trying.

Comment

Working...
                    X