• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can you contest a will to dis-favour yourself?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you contest a will to dis-favour yourself?

My paternal grandfather has the idea in his head that money should go down bloodlines, and has (we believe) changed his will so that if my father pre-deceases him (almost certain) the bulk of his estate would skip my mother and go directly to myself and my brother.

Now I can of course gift money to my mother but a)aren't there tax implications b)it's a hassle.

So I wondered if I can contest the will when my grandfather dies along the lines "I don't want it, my mother should have it"? People contest wills to try and get more, how does it work if you DON'T want something gifted to you in a will?

A bit serious for General I know...
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    My paternal grandfather has the idea in his head that money should go down bloodlines, and has (we believe) changed his will so that if my father pre-deceases him (almost certain) the bulk of his estate would skip my mother and go directly to myself and my brother.

Now I can of course gift money to my mother but a)aren't there tax implications b)it's a hassle.

So I wondered if I can contest the will when my grandfather dies along the lines "I don't want it, my mother should have it"? People contest wills to try and get more, how does it work if you DON'T want something gifted to you in a will?

A bit serious for General I know...
    It would be easier for your mother to contest the will and then you and your brother agree to her objections.

If you do gift a sum to your mother as long as you survive seven years there are no tax implications.

IANAL
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Not sure if this helps but a family friend's husband died intestate. Hence the children could inherit some of the estate. But they decided not too.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        If you do gift a sum to your mother as long as you survive seven years there are no tax implications.
        Yeah exactly... great news for her if her husband dies, her son has an accident and she gets lumped with a tax bill!

Comment

Shouldn't you respect your grandfather's wishes?

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
            It would be easier for your mother to contest the will and then you and your brother agree to her objections.

IANAL
            Only if she was named in an earlier will or if she was blood line. I know cos I'm contesting one at the moment.
            But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

If all the parties named in the will agree then you can pretty well amend it to whatever suits

HTH
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                His wish certainly would not be that any of it goes to the tax-man, arranging his affairs to minimise tax within the law is basically his main hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by LatteLiberal
                  Sorry didn't realise that, you don't say that in the post and I haven't been on the forums lately.
                  OK then. I deleted my post.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                    I'd certainly show every sign of respecting his wishes and not quibble while he's alive, or he might leave the whole lot to the Pigeon Preservation society or something ridiculous.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X