• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

There is technology for everything

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LED ice cubes prevent alcohol induced blackouts

On November 23rd last year, [Dhairya] attended a little shindig at MIT. Three drinks into the night, he blacked out and woke up in the hospital the next day. It was an alcohol-induced blackout, and like all parties at MIT, there’s an ingenious solution to [Dhairya]‘s problem.

[Dhairya] came up with an alcohol-aware ice cube made of a coin cell battery, an ATtiny microcontroller, and an IR transceiver are molded into an edible gelatin ice cube. The microcontroller counts the number of sips per drink, and after one glass of adult beverage changes the color of the flashing LED from green to yellow. After two drinks the LED changes from yellow to red, signaling [Dhairya] to slow down.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Blacked out after 3 drinks? What were they, Pan Galactic Gargle Blasters?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I gotta find me a bar that sells these... Just so I can swallow it and go for the compo though...
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Or he could just MTFU.

Comment

WTF?

The last time I truely blacked out after drinking 7 double vodkas and punching one of the bouncers in Fifth Avenue on the docks in Portsmouth.

And scene cuts to waking up in the car park after being dragged out through the fire exit and beaten unconscious.

A couple of months later they actually killed someone there, a student was beaten to death in the same car park - scary!
          "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

More and more of these kinds of greed-self-regulating gadgets are coming out now.

There's a fork that vibrates when you're eating too fast. It works via a Bluetooth connection to an iPhone.

They'll probably be compulsory one day
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I booked the expired MOT, sorned and therefore untaxed car for a pre booked MOT and trip to post office for said tax over Xmas. Remember I've been unable to drive for six months.

Set off 11:20, car passed, taxed, sorted.

This week a got a letter from DVLA, saying the they have photographic evidence that I was driving my untaxed car at 11:26 that day. WTF!! Six mins after I set off I was snapped by someone or something.

Letter was a tax it or else letter but still!!

Big Brother....

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                I booked the expired MOT, sorned and therefore untaxed car for a pre booked MOT and trip to post office for said tax over Xmas. Remember I've been unable to drive for six months.

Set off 11:20, car passed, taxed, sorted.

This week a got a letter from DVLA, saying the they have photographic evidence that I was driving my untaxed car at 11:26 that day. WTF!! Six mins after I set off I was snapped by someone or something.

Letter was a tax it or else letter but still!!

Big Brother....
                was probably at the MOT place!
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I thought it was legal to drive it to a prebooked MOT?
                  "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
                    I thought it was legal to drive it to a prebooked MOT?
                    It is, got to MOT place about 11:50, so I was snapped on route somewhere. I didn't stop anywhere so it's not a beat plod or warden.

Like I said - letter only warned me to get tax and if I had to ignore it so I'm more concerned about the level of snooping we have in this country now, rather than any actual accusation or insinuation when I've done nowt wrong. It'll be like Demolition Man soon, NLUK you are fined ten credits for jumping on a noob again....

Comment

Working...
                    X